This rich and moist and oh, so Zesty Lemon Pound Cake recipe, is loaded with lots of lemon flavor that’s perfect for any occasion.
Midwest’s Best Zesty Lemon Pound Cake
What could be more inviting than a Zesty Lemon Pound Cake, I ask you? Especially with its rich, moist, sweet-tart, can’t-be-beat flavor, you won’t believe just how easy it is to make this beauty.
This recipe has an old fashioned taste but with a millennial twist thanks to the help of a secret ingredient: Perrier (carbonated water). With just a bit of fizz, this ingredient gives the pound cake a most unbelievable lightness you won’t find anywhere else.
My need for this recipe came when I needed to bring something special to a morning tea? The answer: Zesty Lemon Pound Cake.
This recipe is unbelievably rich, moist and lemony and oh, so simple to make.
Cooking Tip: The secret to this perennial favorite is carbonated water. When added to the recipe it gives the batter a lighter but richer crumb.
It looks definitely like a bundt cake but it has all the striking taste of an old fashioned lemon pound cake that is to die for.
RELATED: Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake
Needless to say, this beauty was a hit not only at the event but also at home (with what leftovers, I could bring back after the event).
Like I mentioned before this recipe is very simple to make. You start by creaming softened butter with sugar, using your paddle arm of a mixer (or you can also do this by hand).
Then add the rest of the ingredients one by one. And, mix well.
What’s in a Bundt Pan – It Does Matter
When making this Zesty Lemon Pound Cake, note that not all bundt pans are created equal. Sure you could use a teflon version but you won’t get the same beautiful definition and perfect outer crumb using it. Try instead my favorite brand of choice: Nordic Ware. You can choose the traditional round version (pic 1) or take it up a notch with par excellence designer versions (pic 2, 3 and 4). It’s totally up to you!1. Nordic Ware Bundt Pan – Anniversary Version 2. Nordic Ware Heritage Bundt 3. Nordic Ware Crown Bundt
Or, the bundt pan I used….4. Nordic Ware Vintage Star Bundt
Be sure to grease your bundt pan with non-stick spray before pouring the batter in it.
Then bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about an hour and twenty minutes.
RELATED: Apple Pineapple Upside Down Cake
Remove and let cool for about 15 minutes before inverting on a rack. (Isn’t that a beauty?)
Next, make your lemony glaze by first sifting the powdered sugar. You don’t want to have any lumps in this glaze.
Mix all of the ingredients up well until smooth, rich and lemony.
Drizzle at will.
Allow the glaze to set up for a minute or two and add more.
Garnish with lemon zest.
See! It’s that easy! Slice, Serve and Enjoy!
For more delicious cake recipes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Zesty Lemon Pound Cake
For the Cake:
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup Perrier
- 1/4 cup lemon juice or the juice from 2-3 lemons
- 1½ tsp pure lemon extract
- 2 tbsp grated lemon peel
For the Glaze:
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp pure lemon extract
- 3 cups powdered sugar (confectioner’s sugar)
- 1 tbsp grated lemon peel
- 1 tsp water if you like your glaze thinner
- Lemon Zest curls for garnish
- Preheat oven to 325° F. Then, grease a 12- to 15-cup Bundt or tube pan with nonstick spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and granulated sugar at medium speed until fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Next, add the sifted flour, one cup at a time. Be sure to mix well before adding the next cup.
- Add Perrier, lemon extract, grated lemon peel and lemon juice. Mix well.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted near center comes out clean, approximately 1 hour and 20 minutes.
- Let cool in pan for 15 minutes on a rack. Remove the cake from pan, and finish cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Then, in a medium mixing bowl, stir together until smooth the lemon juice, lemon extract, grated lemon peel and powdered sugar. If the glaze is too thick, add 1 tsp at a time of water.
- Drizzle glaze over the cooled cake. Sprinkle the curled lemon zest on top of the cake for garnish.
- Slice. Serve. Enjoy!