Enlist the help of your kids this Thanksgiving to create a one-of-a-kind “What I’m Thankful For” turkey art project.
When my kids were younger, I loved seeing their cute art projects that offered insight as to what they were thankful for. So, I got to thinking how I might be able to put a twist on this idea with a craft project so that the whole family could be involved.
A Thanksgiving Gratitude Craft – “What I’m Thankful For” Turkey Art Project
The project I came up with is called “What I’m Thankful For.” And, what better way to express with gratitude all of the blessings received throughout the year than with the “official” symbol of Thanksgiving: the turkey, to convey this in a fun, kid-friendly art project.
This activity is all about sharing what you are most thankful for. And, since this is different for everyone, there’s really no right or wrong answer.
What I love about this craft project is that it uses shapes to create a cute turkey design. You might also want to encourage your children to add their own background “must-haves” to the finished piece.
CRAFTER NOTE: Laminate each piece of artwork to use as a placemat or frame it as a wall-hanging.
What You Will Need
• 9”x12” or 12″ x 16″ multi-colored construction paper for the background
• Multi-colored construction paper
• Precut geometric shapes such as triangles, squares, circles for project (see below)
• Glue and glue sticks
• Crayons, Markers, Pencils
1. Cut out the geometric shapes.
2. Trace the shapes on colored paper and cut them out.
3. Lay the shapes out on background paper and arrange the design. (See examples below.)
4. Glue the shapes to the background paper.
5. Finally, write in crayon, marker or pencil what you are thankful for.
More Printables for Optional Designs and Ideas
I love the idea of using same designs but in different ways. You can use these printables to make placemats, name cards, window decorations, and more. The sky’s the limit.
How about these creative ideas:
• Use chalk on the black turkey with white background.
• Laminate blank colorful turkey with either plain or colorful background. Give vis a vis markers to your guests and have them write what they’re grateful for right on the image.
• Print off colorful turkey on decorative background, cut to fit premade card, glue and use as thank you notes.
As mentioned above, kids (and adults) can make this project in no time at all. What a great way to express one’s gratitude. Don’t you think?