Discover the many uses for baking soda that are not only great for your home and garden, but for you, too.
Hardworking Uses for Baking Soda
Every year around this time, I try to come up with more ways to live greener and cleaner. So the one product that seems to stand out for me as one of the best products that is not only easy on the environment but also very versatile is Baking Soda.
Baking Soda, or Bicarbonate of Soda, as it is more formally known, is more than just a leavener in recipes or air deodorizer by keeping your refrigerator smelling fresh.
It can do so much more:
- Use it in place of harsh sink detergents. Just sprinkle it around in the sink and use a scrubby or a cloth rag and clean as you would–say Soft Scrub.
- Brushing teeth. Make a paste of one part Baking Soda and one part water. Place on toothbrush and brush normally.
- Easy deodorizer. Just as you see on television or in ads, Baking Soda is perfect for removing odors from refrigerators, bathroom closets, basements and even sock drawers. You can place the box wherever you need it, or place it in a powder sugar dispenser.
WATCH: 7 Baking Soda Hacks That Changed My Life! – Clean My Space [Video]
- Refresh your carpets. Sprinkle some on your carpet and then vacuum well. If you have throw rugs, you can place both the rugs and some Baking Soda in a garbage bag and allow it absorb any offensive odors for a couple of days. Repeat if necessary.
- Relieve sunburns. In a warm bath, add Baking Soda. It will help relieve the burning and itching feeling.
- Microwave cleaner. Sprinkle some Baking Soda on a dampened sponge and clean all surfaces. Then place a box inside for a day to help remove any odors.
- Volumize your hair. Add about a teaspoon or less of Baking Soda to your shampoo and wash as usual. This should add volumes to your tresses.
- Facial Scrub. Use one part Baking Soda to one part Honey. Mix and apply to your face. Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Whiten Your Smile. According to Dr. Oz, use a mix of one part Baking Soda, Strawberries and Lemon Juice. Apply to your teeth and brush normally. Rinse well.
- Antacid for heartburn. Refer to package for complete instructions and enjoy its effectiveness to help relieve symptoms of stomach ache, sour stomach and indigestion.
For more great Uses for Baking Soda
• Make Spring Cleaning Green Cleaning – Check out how you can clean your home, top to bottom, using eco-friendly solutions.
• ArmandHammer.com – Savings and Solutions, plus more ideas for using Baking Soda.
And, for more great ideas for keeping your home neat and tidy, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Cleaning Section and these must-know articles: