Simple cleaning and organizing tips to keep a refrigerator neat and tidy.
5 Quick Tips to Keep a Refrigerator Neat and Tidy
Do you ever wonder what people will find if they open up your refrigerator? Is it organized or a total mess? Well, put your worries aside with these simple cleaning and organizing tips to keep a refrigerator neat and tidy.
The truth is we all live busy lives. Even so, what we clean today will eliminate the need to do so in the future. And, that goes for our trusty refrigerator.
True Story: Recently, I had a guest over who asked for something out of the fridge and before I could intercept her, she was in the thick and throes of my messy fridge. To say I was embarrassed was an understatement.
For obvious reasons, there was nothing I could do or say, but the next day I did some deep cleaning and organizing of my refrigerator.
RELATED: Tips for Green Cleaning
But you don’t have to let your fridge get that far out of whack.
Instead, follow these five quick tips and you’ll never have to deal with the embarrassment of a dirty refrigerator again:
1. Keep track of any/all expiration dates. Make note of the date you purchased the food item on the outside label or container with a permanent marker or Sharpie. That way, you won’t be so unlucky as to find a petrified jar of food tucked in the back of your refrigerator on cleaning day.
2. Use eco-friendly storage containers. Most folks are aware that you should store food in glass or BPA-free plastic storage containers and bags. Many can be used in the freezer, too, which is even more “green.”
RELATED: Tips to Pack Safe Lunches for Kids
3. Wrap it up. Wrap your food up properly when you get it home, especially if its original wrapping is loose, torn, or open. Over 25% of all food brought home becomes waste before we ever eat it due to poor packaging.
4. Swap it out. Exchange any food that you have stored for “emergencies” once a month and replace it with fresh or freezable items.
5. Wipe it up. Between cleanings, be sure to wipe up any spills. It’s a lot easier cleaning up mini spills than having to undertake an entire cleaning of your refrigerator or freezer.
Use warm soapy water and a clean cloth to clean all surfaces. Never use harsh chemicals or abrasives, as these will damage your refrigerator. Also, be sure to dry everything well with a fresh dish towel.
Now that you know how to keep your refrigerator neat and tidy, discover how to store your food safely here: Tips for Safe Food Storage in Your Fridge and Freezer.
And, for more great ideas to keep your home neat and tidy, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Housekeeping Section.