This easy authentic Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry recipe is made with shrimp and vegetables in a rich coconut and green curry sauce.
How to Make Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe
This traditional recipe for Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry will have your tastebuds clamoring for more, it’s that good. Made with shrimp, coconut milk and exotic green curry, the flavors are out of this world.
There are some dishes that I can’t get enough of and this recipe for Coconut Shrimp Curry is one of them.
Green curry dishes are usually served with rice, versus noodles and are traditionally made by pounding green chilis, along with a variety of Asian-inspired ingredients and spices, into a paste that is perfect with most seafood.
You’ll usually find green curry paste in the Asian food aisle of your grocery store, or if you are adventurous, you can make it at home with a mortar and pestle or a food processor if you don’t have one of these).
How to Make Green Curry Paste – Hot Thai Kitchen! (Video)
For me, green curry offers an exotic take that is rich with curried spice and Thai influences. It’s simply one of the easiest recipes to make for weeknight dining but it also is a showstopper when feeding friends and family.
RELATED: Chicken and Mushroom Ramen
As in most authentic Thai recipes, you’ll want to sauté the vegetables prior to adding your shrimp. That is because shrimp takes very little time to cook and you don’t want to overcook it.
The coconut sauce is made in a separate saucepan and heated through. I like to add all of my spices, including curry powder, at this time. Heat to boiling.
Then add the sauce to your shrimp and vegetables.
And best of all, there are plenty of shrimp and vegetables in each spoonful, too.
Serve it up over another Thai favorite: Jasmati Rice. This rice offers floral flavors that pair well with shrimp curry dishes like this. Enjoy!
For more delicious Asian dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Authentic Thai Coconut Shrimp Curry Recipe
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 cups onions sliced thinly
- 1 cup green onions slices on a diagonal, whites and green
- 1 cup carrots julienne
- 4 oz diced green chiles canned
- 1.5 lb 25/30 frozen raw peeled deveined shrimp
- 13.66 oz Thai Kitchen coconut milk
- 2 tbsp Thai Kitchen green curry paste
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp ginger minced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced thinly
- 2 limes 1 juiced, the other sliced in wedges
- 1/4 cups basil chopped finely
- 1/4 cups cilantro chopped finely
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Jasmine Rice cooked
- In a large frypan, add sesame oil and heat it until lightly rippling.
- Add onions (green and yellow), green chiles and carrots to the frypan. Sauté for about five minutes.
- Add shrimp and stir well cover and allow to cook, another 5 minutes.
- In a saucepan, add the rest of the ingredients, except the Jasmine rice. Heat until the coconut curry sauce broils. Pour carefully over the shrimp and vegetables in the frypan.
- Cook for another 5-10 minutes, until the shrimp cook completely.
- Remove from the heat and serve over cooked Jasmine rice. Enjoy!