This Swiss-inspired Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin recipe is a rich side dish (or meatless meal) that’s super cheesy thanks to Gruyere, Fontina and Wisconsin White Cheddar.
Wisconsinites love their cheese and this easy Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin recipe which can double as a meatless casserole, celebrates the best that the Dairy State has to offer.
That’s what I love most about Wisconsin. There’s so much diversity of folks that have immigrated here since its statehood over 170 years ago.
One such group of settlers were the Swiss. They settled in large numbers near Madison, Wisconsin in New Glarus. Most came during the mid-1800s when the canton of Glarus in Switzerland was experiencing famine.
So these immigrants settled in one of the many picturesque parts of Wisconsin to seek a better life and freedom from hunger.
Fast forward to the 21st Century, the area in and around New Glarus has evolved over the years. But what hasn’t changed is its superior artisanal cheeses that have achieved numerous awards.
So, it’s no wonder that this is my way of celebrating the fact by giving it top honors with this Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin recipe.
And you can try it for yourself.
How to Make Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin Recipe
This recipe requires that you complete a couple of steps prior to assembling the gratin.
First, grease your baking dish with butter or nonstick spray.
Grate your cheese.
Then, use a mandoline to slice your sweet potatoes.
Make sure thinly slice the sweet potatoes.
Do the same with your apples.
Now it’s time to begin layering your gratin. Start by fanning out sweet potato slices on the base of the baking dish.
Follow with a layer of apples.
Sprinkle on chopped fresh thyme.
Sprinkle with cheese and continue layering.
Once finished, top with the rest of the grated cheese.
Bake in the oven for about 45 to 50 minutes or until golden brown.
Ooey gooey, cheesy goodness.
Let cool for about 10 minutes and then slice and serve. Enjoy!
For more delicious vegetable dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Sweet Potato and Apple Gratin
- 2 sweet potatoes peeled, sliced in thin rounds
- 2 apples cored and sliced in thin rounds (Suggested: Apple Crisp)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 3 tsp thyme roughly chopped (fresh or dried)
- 1/2 cup Gruyere shredded
- 1 cup Fontina cheese shredded
- 1 cup Wisconsin white cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter or lightly oil a baking dish. Set aside.
- Place the sliced potatoes in a bowl and season generously with salt and pepper. Add the thyme and half of the cheese and toss together.
- In another bowl, drizzle the apple slices with lemon juice.
- Next, layer the sweet potato and apple slices, alternately. Drizzle with the cream and sprinkle on all of the cheese.
- Bake 45 minutes. Once the cheese has turned golden brown and the potatoes have softened. Remove from the oven.
- Let rest at least 10 minutes before serving. Enjoy!