This easy baked Stuffed Pattypan Squash recipe uses Congris (black beans and rice) and topped with cheese. Ready in less than 20 minutes.
It has only been recently that I was introduced to pattypan squash. You’ll find it most often during the summer months. What I love about it is that it has a mild earthy taste and very easy to cook with.
Many cooks choose to roast them with a little oil or even pan fry them.
It’s an easy breezy side dish that’s also light on calories but big on flavor.
And, when baked with a touch of cheese this delicious jewel of the garden can’t be beat.
In fact, it’s like a meal in itself that is the perfect size for light dinners or a great side dish when serving it alongside a main meat like roasted pork loin.
How to Make Stuffed Pattypan Squash
Carefully cut off the top quarter of the squash. Then using a small spoon, scoop out the white flesh without breaking into the sides.
These pattypan squash are ready for filling.
Fill with your rice and bean mixture, heaping just above the top.
Finally top with finely grated mixed Italian cheese.
Bake for approximately 15 minutes or so at 400 degrees F.
When fork tender, remove and serve several stuffed pattypans on a plate alongside a green salad or your favorite meat dish.
Or, you can include it as part of a tasty meatless ensemble: Stuffed Pattypan Squash, Roasted Pattypan with Tomatoes and Basil Appetizer Recipe and Arroz Congri. Enjoy!
For more delicious vegetable dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Stuffed Pattypan Squash
- 6 pattypan squash
- 1 1/2 cup Cuban Rice and Beans or Arroz Congri – See Recipe Link in Recipe Notes Below
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/2 cup Italian blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Carefully cut off top of pattypan squash.
- Using a small spoon, scoop out squash flesh.
- Brush olive oil on parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place your cut Pattypan Squash on the baking sheet.
- Fill each vessel with rice mixture.
- Top with cheese.
- Place top of each squash alongside each stuffed squash.
- Place in oven.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until the squash is tender.
- Remove from oven.
- Serve. Enjoy!