Spanish Catalan Tomato Bread is a quick and easy appetizer or side dish recipe that uses only five ingredients. Ready in five minutes or less.
Some recipes can transport oneself to faraway places, like this Spanish Catalan Tomato Bread.
My family traveled to Catalonia, Spain, years ago and one of the recipes that I brought home with me was this one. I loved this recipe then as I do now.
Catalan Tomato Bread goes well with most red or light-dry white wines, although you could also serve it with Cava (Spanish sparkling wine) if you’d like.
How to Make Spanish Catalan Tomato Bread
This is a relatively easy bruschetta recipe that takes toasted (or plain) artisanal bread out of this world.
It can be used as an appetizer or as a side to a meal. I also like to offer it when I make a cheese and sausage board.
What I love about this recipe is how simple the ingredients are but the taste is amazing.
And, it’s a regular finger food with those who live not only in Catalunya but throughout Spain.
In fact, most families there who have gardens grow tomatoes to be used in a variety of recipes. So Catalan Tomato Bread or Pan con Tomate as it’s known in Spain, celebrates the beauty of this vegetable, again and again.
And, when paired with toasted crusty bread, the dense crumb (the inner part of the bread) offers a great surface to rub fresh garlic and sliced tomato over it.
All you have to do to guild the lily is add a pinch of salt and a drizzle of Spanish extra virgin olive oil. A definite match in culinary heaven! Enjoy!
For more delicious Spanish-inspired recipes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Spanish Catalan Tomato Bread
- 12 slices artisanal Italian bread cut diagonally into 1 1/2 inch slices
- 2 Roma tomatoes cut crosswise into even slices
- 6 cloves garlic peeled, crushed slightly
- 6 tsp Spanish olive oil extra virgin
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place cut bread on a baking sheet and bake for approximately 5-10 minutes until toasted.
- Remove from oven. Let bread cool for about five minutes.
- Rub garlic clove over each slice of bread. Follow by tomatoes.
- Drizzle with olive oil and a pinch of salt (optional).
- Serve as is. Enjoy!