This quick and easy casserole, Southwest Cheesy Layered Taco Bake recipe, is made with a spicy beef-pork mix, layered vegetables and beans.
If you want to wow your family with a quick and easy dinner, all you have to do is turn to this recipe for Southwest Cheesy Layered Taco Bake.
It is made with a delicious spicy beef and pork mix, along with layered vegetables, and black beans, smothered in a cheesy crust that’s reminiscent of cornbread.
The secret ingredient for this recipe? Bisquick.
It’s the perfect foil to the hot, hot, hot layers of Southwest flavors that can be easily replicated in any kitchen.
How to Make Southwest Cheesy Layered Taco Bake
Assemble your ingredients for this recipe. Most of these items can be found in most folk’s pantry and fridge.
To spice things up, I included fresh chorizo. It adds the right amount of spice and smoky taste that are reminiscent of Southwest cuisine.
The brand I prefer for chorizo sausage hails from Wisconsin. It’s all natural, without any nitrates and best of all, it’s gluten free!
Brown the chorizo. This step takes around five to 10 minutes. Once the meat has been cooked, you are ready to create the taco bake, starting with the meat first.
From there, you will layer on the colorful vegetables, one at a time, starting with red onions, next yellow corn, bright bell peppers, tomatoes, green onions, Kalamata olives, and black beans, etc.
Finally, top all of this with a Bisquick batter (see Recipe Card below), followed by shredded Wisconsin aged cheddar cheese.
Bake in a preheated 400 degree F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until the top is bubbly and golden brown. Remove.
Definitely, layers upon layers of flavorful ingredients that can’t be beat. Enjoy!
For more delicious Southwest-inspired dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Cheesy Layered Taco Bake Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 16 oz Dos Mamacitas Chorizo
- 15 oz black beans drained, rinsed
- 1 cup canned corn
- 1 cup chopped bell peppers
- 1 cup green onions chopped
- 1 cup red onions chopped
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper remove seeds and ribs, mince
- 14.5 oz Red Gold Petite diced tomatoes
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup Original Bisquick™ mix
- 1 cup shredded Wisconsin Sharp White Cheddar
- Sour cream if desired
- Tortilla Chips
- Salsa (See Note Below for Recipe Link)
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Grease deep dish casserole dish with nonstick spray.
- Cook ground beef and chorizo in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the meat is cooked through.
- Begin layering your taco bake with the meat mixture on the bottom and layer in the order listed in ingredient list. In a separate bowl, stir milk, eggs and Bisquick mix until blended. Pour over taco bake.
- Top with shredded cheese.
- Bake about 25-30 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Cool 5 minutes. Serve with salsa and sour cream and tortilla chips.