This easy one Skillet Salisbury Steak recipe is made with ground sirloin and hamburger meat and smothered in an onion and mushroom gravy.
Easy One Skillet Salisbury Steak Recipe
If you’re looking for a hearty dinner that’s both quick and easy, look no further than this one Skillet Salisbury Steak recipe that’s made with grilled chopped steak in a thick onion-mushroom sauce.
As is usually the case, I find myself on some days craving comfort food, and this classic Skillet Salisbury Steak recipe fits the bill to perfection.
Not only does it afford me the ability to indulge in a more substantial meal for my family, without the exorbitant cost, but it also fulfills my need to nosh on a meal of “meat and potatoes,” much like I enjoyed as a child.
Honestly, I have to thank my mom, who was a super home cook who turned me on to dishes like this. She knew how to stretch a buck (for there were seven hungry tummies to feed at each meal) and still make meals that tasted delish.
The dinners mom made looked like it took hours of preparation, when in effect these meals were really some of the most frugal one could find.
What I love about making this dish today, is that it’s a one skillet entree that takes minimal time to prepare and cook up.
And, while I’m cooking the Salisbury Steaks, I can also be multitasking by peeling cucumbers to make my favorite Old Fashioned Sour Cream Cucumber Salad. This side dish pairs well with the rich hearty sauce by offering a cool alternative with yummy garlic overtones.
Here’s how to make this recipe:
First, mix together a 50/50 mix of ground sirloin and ground chuck, along with dried mustard and herbs.
After you’ve formed the meat mixture into oblong patties, fry them on medium high heat for at least five minutes on one side.
When golden brown, flip and fry your Salisbury Steaks on the other side for another five to seven minutes. Once cooked, remove from the skillet and set aside on a plate. Be sure to wrap them in aluminum foil to keep them warm.
Next, add sliced onions and mushrooms to the hot skillet. I prefer Shiitake mushrooms for this recipe because of their rich mushroomy taste.
Then sauté the onions and mushroom until soft and luxuriantly fragrant.
Time to make the sauce. Use ketchup and beef stock and make a slurry with corn starch before adding it to the pan with the onions and mushrooms. Stir well to combine.
Finally, add the Salisbury steaks back into the pan and heat through for another five minutes. Remove from the heat and serve hot.
For more delicious dinner ideas, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Easy One Skillet Salisbury Steak Recipe
This hearty, quick and easy Skillet Salisbury Steak recipe is made with grilled chopped steak and hamburger meat in a thick onion and mushroom gravy.
- 1 lb ground chuck
- 1 lb ground sirloin
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1 cup Italian bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups onions thinly sliced
- 2 cups Shiitake mushrooms sliced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 2 tbsp Heinz Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine meat, mustard, and breadcrumbs. Mix gently by hand until everything is combined.
- Make six oblong patties.
- To a skillet, add olive oil. Heat for about one minute, then add the patties.
- Cook on medium high heat for about 5 minutes (approximately) on one side.
- When golden brown, flip and cook the patties for another 5-7 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove the patties from the skillet and place on a plate. Cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
- In the still hot skillet, add the onions and mushrooms. Sauté for about 5-7 minutes.
- While the onions and mushrooms are cooking, in a bowl, mix 1 cup of the beef broth, cornstarch, Worcestershire sauce and ketchup together. Stir well. Add this, along with the rest of the beef broth back into the skillet.
- Stir well with the cooked onions and mushrooms.
- Add back the Salisbury steak patties.
- Cook everything through for another 5 minutes, until the sauce is nice and thickened. Salt and pepper, to taste.
- Remove the Salisbury steaks from the heat and serve immediately. Enjoy!