This simple Summer Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca) can be used as a delicious appetizer or dip, a topping on fish, beef, chicken and seafood dishes, or as a salad.
Simple Summer Pico de Gallo (Salsa Fresca) Recipe
One of my favorite summer recipes that also seconds as a healthy dip for parties has to be Pico de Gallo, also known as Salsa Fresca.
It’s perfect alone or with tortilla chips, of course. But it’s so versatile, you can also use it as a relish or topping on fish, beef, chicken and seafood.
Best of all, this recipe is paleo, vegan, vegetarian, keto and gluten free!
Pico de Gallo is part of authentic Mexican cuisine. It’s a very healthy dish to eat and loaded with bite-sized chunks of tomatoes, onions peppers, jalapeños and cilantro.
You’ll love it because it’s refreshingly light on calories. In fact, a single serving is just 13 calories. Not bad for staying slim and trim throughout the year.
RELATED: Mango Avocado Salsa
Now, I mentioned that it is a “summer” Pico de Gallo. The reason is that you’ll usually find this at most patio parties and barbecues. One reason is that there’s no need to worry about it spoiling, so you can bring it along to whatever event you’re attending.
But don’t limit yourself to eating this only in summer. Pico de Gallo will add lots of color and healthy goodness to your favorite winter dishes, too.
RELATED: Lone Star Salsa
More Ideas for Pico de Gallo
Think that Pico de Gallo is just for dipping? Not so. Here are a few more ideas to try:
• Add fresh pineapple, mango, or watermelon to give it a fruity twist. Then serve it as a side with carnitas and warmed tortillas for a healthy lunch or dinner wrap.
• Spoon over enchiladas as a beautiful vegetable garnish.
• If you’re planning a small gathering or a picnic for two, use individual lidded jars filled with Pico de Gallo.
• But, if you’re planning on feeding a crowd, it’s best to serve it in a large bowl to allow your friends and family to dip and nosh at-will. Enjoy!
And, be sure to check out my latest collection: Best Mexican Food Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Simple Summer Pico de Gallo - Salsa Fresca Recipe
This simple summer Pico de Gallo or Salsa Fresca can be used as a delicious appetizer or dip, a topping on fish, beef, chicken and seafood dishes, or as a salad. This recipe is also paleo, vegan, vegetarian, and gluten free!
- 1 cup red onion chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper chopped
- 3 tbsp jalapeño minced
- 2 cups tomatoes chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 tbsp lime juice fresh squeezed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp white wine vinegar
In a large bowl add all of the ingredients together and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in refrigerator until ready to eat. Serve with tortilla, pita chips or fresh vegetables.