The perfect side dish with grilled and roasted meats, this Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe is light and crunchy with just the right amount of tang.
Wisconsin is blessed with the perfect climate for growing green cabbage and what better way to celebrate this delicious but crunchy vegetable is this Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe.
But did you know there are two schools of thoughts when it comes to coleslaw: creamy or vinegar and oil?
As for me, depending upon my mood and what ingredients I have on hand, I have to say that I oscillate between the two recipes, as do many Wisconsinites.
It’s the perfect side dish with grilled and roasted meats and is light and crunchy with just the right amount of tang.
RELATED: Creamy Broccoli Slaw Recipe
Even so, this oil and vinegar coleslaw goes well with most grilled or roasted meats, fried fish and seafood.
How to Make Shredded Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw Recipe
What I love about this recipe is that it is a simple recipe that uses a handful of ingredients that allows the sweetness of the cabbage to shine.
You’ll love it because a small cabbage head makes quite a lot of coleslaw, which makes it a great side dish for picnics or potlucks.
That’s why I like to call this a “blue ribbon” recipe. It is so versatile and quick and easy to make. Best of all, it’s a family favorite–as you’ll find out when you serve it to your friends and family.
Here’s how to make Oil and Vinegar Coleslaw:
Begin by slicing and shredding a small head of green cabbage and set aside.
Add the dressing to the cabbage and toss well. Finally sprinkle the salad with black sesame seeds. Mix well once more.
For more delicious side dish recipes, be sure to check out the Recipe Section on Wisconsin Homemaker.
Homemade Creamy Coleslaw Recipe
For the Creamy Coleslaw Dressing:
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 1/5 tbsp sugar
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp water
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp celery seed
For the Coleslaw:
- 1 cup red cabbage shredded
- 3 cups green cabbage shredded or 16 oz packaged coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup carrot shredded
- Salt and Pepper to taste
For the Creamy Coleslaw Dressing
- In a small bowl add the vegetable oil, sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, mayo, sour cream, onion and garlic powder and celery seed. Mix well and set aside. (See Note Below**)
For the Coleslaw
- Thinly shred the red and green cabbage, as well as the carrot. Place in a large bowl.
- Add the dressing according to what you like–super creamy or less so. (See Note Below**). Mix well. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Keep chilled until serving. Enjoy!