Salmon en Papillote is a delicious and healthy meal that’s wrapped in parchment paper, baked with vegetables in a light wine sauce.
I believe eating healthy is a choice and that’s why I’m keen on learning ways to cook cleaner and healthier.
Take this recipe for Salmon en Papillote. Now, don’t get turned away by the title, papillote translated loosely is “paper,” or in the case of this recipe: parchment paper. So what you will be making is fish wrapped in parchment paper.
Pretty simple, huh?
Why parchment paper? First of all, using this cooking method, you use little to no fat to cook the fish and vegetables—and yes, there are lots of vegetables in this dish.
RELATED: Pistachio Dijon Salmon
Second of all, the steam does all of the hard work. Which means that all of that nutritional goodness in both the salmon and vegetables are not lost.
Third, clean up is a snap. There are no pots or pans to clean, just the dishes you eat off of. The parchment paper is recycled in the trash.
And, best of all, you can get the kids involved in making their own “fish packets.”
How to Make Salmon en Papillote
First, follow the directions from this simple video tutorial how to wrap fish in parchment paper.
Then, place your vegetables like, chopped leeks, julienne carrots, chopped celery in the center of the packet.
Once you do this, lay the salmon on top of the vegetables.
RELATED: Watermelon Glazed Salmon
Next, drizzle a tablespoon or two of white wine or chicken broth over everything. Salt and pepper and sprinkle with chopped dill.
Wrap carefully, being sure to fold tightly all of the ends of the packet.
Finally, bake in an oven for about 20 minutes. Place the packet on a plate, cut open the packet and serve the salmon alongside a fresh salad made with cucumbers and tomatoes. Enjoy!
For more delicious fish dishes, check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Salmon en Papillote
- 12 oz salmon fillets (4 ounce fillets each)
- 4 tsp dill chopped finely
- 4 tbsp wine or chicken stock
- 1 cup leeks chopped finely
- 1 cup carrots julienne
- 1 cup celery chopped thinly on the diagonal
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- First cut parchment for 4 packets per instructions on video. (See Video Link in Notes.)
- Divide leeks, carrots and celery between the 4 packets.
- Lay each salmon fillet in the middle of the vegetables and drizzle with wine or chicken stock and dill.
- Wrap tightly each packet and place in the oven to bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove packets from oven. Place each on a plate and slice open. Serve. Enjoy!