One Pan Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley with Brussels Sprouts
Winter in Wisconsin signals an end to green lawns and flower gardens, but it shouldn’t signal the end to bright meals and colorful vegetables.
Sure the vegetables that you enjoyed during the summer months might not be available or as fresh as you’d like, but that shouldn’t turn you off from the incoming winter vegetables that are also packed with veggie goodness.
That’s why you’ll love this healthy one pan Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley. It’s a mix of bright green brussels sprouts, shredded red cabbage, chopped parsnips and parsley root.
And nothing brings out the rich flavors of these vegetables than by roasting in an oven.
Just toss the vegetables in extra virgin olive oil, add some fresh herbs with a little salt and pepper, and bake for about 35-40 minutes. It’s that easy.
What makes this Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley so simple and easy is that it takes only one pan to make and bake.
But you don’t have to stop there. Try adding fresh carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, summer squash, zucchini, red peppers or even sliced fennel.
What to Serve with Winter Vegetable Medley
You might wonder what to serve alongside this vegetable side dish.
Might I suggest the following delicious main dish options:
- Carnitas (Shredded Pork)
- Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs
- Swedish Meatballs
- Hungarian Paprikash
- Chicken Thighs with Mushroom Sauce
Or, you can simplify it even further by slicing up a store-bought rotisserie chicken.
Either way, you’ll find that this dish is amazingly delicious and healthy too! Enjoy!
For more delicious vegetable dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Roasted Winter Vegetable Medley with Brussels Sprouts
- 3 cups red cabbage shredded
- 2 cups parsnips peeled, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups parsley root peeled, chopped into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 cups brussels sprouts halved
- 1 cup red onions chopped
- 1 tbsp rosemary chopped finely
- 1 tbsp sage chopped finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- Prepare the vegetables as noted above.
- Prepare the baking sheet with Silpat sheet, parchment or if using a baking dish, lightly brush inside with olive oil.
- Begin layering the vegetables, red cabbage first, and then follow with parsnips, parsley root, onions and finishing with the brussels sprouts.
- Drizzle with olive oil over the top of the vegetables and sprinkle with chopped herbs.
- You can sprinkle with a light pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Toss gently, but try not to disturb the cabbage layer.
- Place baking sheet in oven and bake for about 30-40 minutes or until vegetables come out fork tender.
- Once you get to the 30 minute mark, it’s best if you check on the vegetables every five minutes or so. You don’t want to overcook them.
- Remove from oven and transfer the vegetables into a serving dish. Serve hot. Enjoy!