This easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is a quick summer side dish that’s loaded with nutritional goodness and taste.
Easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This roasted beet salad turns a ho hum side dish into something bright, fresh and totally delicious. It’s simple and easy to make with just a handful of ingredients.
Which is why recently, I decided it was high time I made this recipe again.
What made it possible was that I was able to get fresh picked golden beets from my local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) – HighCross Farm, located in Campbellsport, Wisconsin. These beauties came with bright greens, which I’ll have to share my recipe for using these later.
Anyway, they were just the right size and shape for roasting, plus they were small enough to still retain a delicate sweetness I absolutely love with this vegetable.
Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t always a fan of beets, but my mom pickled them so deliciously I eventually overcame my finicky tastebuds and rightly so!
This recipe, I hope, will change your mind on using beets as a side dish. Being that it is lightly dressed with a citrus vinaigrette, you’ll find that it pairs well with most meat dishes.
Beets are very healthy for you. With just one cup and 59 calories you receive the benefits of over fourteen vitamins and minerals.
Here are some quick tips for making this dish:
• You’ll want to choose the freshest beets, because they roast well and taste divine.
• Use a high quality white balsamic vinegar. This will send your salad over the top–really!
• Also, use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. The lesser quality ones impart an “off” taste.
• Finally, be sure to give the vinaigrette time to marinate the beets. Allow at least 30 minutes–overnight is best and recommended, if you have time.
And, don’t forget to add some chopped basil, dill, or even rosemary for garnish. Delish!
Alternative Ways to Serve This Beet Salad
I have altered this recipe throughout the years–all to great success. You might be interested to try these versions yourself:
• Add tomatoes and aged balsamic vinegar into the mix for a humdinger of a fresh salad packed with all the right stuff your family and friends need and want in a side dish.
• Vary the color of the beets you use. Most are now available in most places year-round, so you can serve up even the tiniest beets with cherry tomatoes (vary the color of these too) for an even more colorful and sweet recipe whenever you want.
• For a bit of “crunch,” chop a medium red onion or even a sweet Vadalia onion.
• Instead of the Balsamic Vinaigrette, try my Easy Honey-Lime Dressing for another citrus punch.
Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is a quick summer side dish that's loaded with nutritional goodness and taste. Also, try using a mix of different colored beets, roasted onions and tomatoes for more variety and taste.
- 1 pound golden beets
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
In a sided baking dish, roast golden beets until fork tender, approximately 35-40 minutes.
Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes.
Using a paper towel or a dull knife, remove outer skin.
Slice cross-wise and place in a bowl. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well.
Drizzle dressing over the beets.
Let sit for 30 minutes, spooning dressing occasionally over the beets during this time.
Or, let sit overnight in the refrigerator—again, periodically spooning liquid over beets.