This easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is a quick summer side dish that’s loaded with nutritional goodness and taste.
Easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This roasted beet salad turns a ho hum side dish into something bright, fresh and totally delicious. It’s simple and easy to make with just a handful of ingredients.
Which is why recently, I decided it was high time I made this recipe again.
They are just the right size and shape for roasting, plus they are small enough to still retain a delicate sweetness I absolutely love with this vegetable.
Don’t get me wrong, I wasn’t always a fan of beets, but when I was young my mom pickled them so deliciously I eventually overcame my finicky tastebuds and rightly so!
This recipe, I hope, gives homage to my mom’s recipe and hopefully will change your mind on using beets as a side dish.
Beets are very healthy for you. With just one cup and 59 calories you receive the benefits of over fourteen vitamins and minerals.
Here are some quick tips for making this dish:
- Being that it is lightly dressed with a citrus vinaigrette, you’ll find that it pairs well with most meat dishes.
- You’ll want to choose the freshest beets, because they roast well and taste divine.
- Use a high quality white balsamic vinegar. This will send your salad over the top.
- Also, use a good quality extra virgin olive oil. This will bring out the richness of this delicious salad.
- Be sure to give the vinaigrette time to marinate the beets. Allow at least 30 minutes, although overnight is best and recommended, if you have time.
Finally, don’t forget to garnish with chopped basil, dill, or even rosemary for fresh herb flavor. Delish!
Alternative Ways to Serve This Beet Salad
I have altered this recipe throughout the years–all to great success. You might be interested to try one or more of these versions yourself:
- Add tomatoes and aged balsamic vinegar into the mix for a humdinger of a fresh salad packed with all the right stuff your family and friends need and want in a side dish.
- Vary the color of the beets you use. Most are now available in most places year-round, so you can serve up even the tiniest beets with cherry tomatoes (vary the color of these too) for an even more colorful and sweet recipe whenever you want.
- For a bit of “crunch,” sprinkle with slices of raw red or vidalia onion.
- Top with feta, blue cheese or crumbled goat cheese pieces.
- Give it a nutty twist with crushed pistachios.
- Sweeten it even more with fresh berries, like sliced strawberries, blue berries or raspberries.
- And speaking of fruit, instead of using Balsamic Vinaigrette, try my Easy Honey-Lime Dressing for a citrusy punch.
For more delicious vegetable dishes or salads, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette
This easy Roasted Golden Beet Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette is a quick summer side dish that’s loaded with nutritional goodness and taste. Also, try using a mix of different colored beets, roasted onions and tomatoes for more variety and taste.
- 1 pound golden beets
- 1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.
In a sided baking dish, roast golden beets until fork tender, approximately 35-40 minutes.
- Remove and let cool for about 10 minutes.
- Using a paper towel or a dull knife, remove outer skin.
- Slice cross-wise and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, add the rest of the ingredients and whisk well.
- Drizzle dressing over the beets.
- Let sit for 30 minutes, spooning dressing occasionally over the beets during this time.
- Or, let sit overnight in the refrigerator—again, periodically spooning liquid over beets.
- Serve. Enjoy!