Loaded with summer vegetables, smoked ham, and pineapple, this Rainbow Tortellini Salad is the perfect picnic food whether you serve it up today or tomorrow!
Dreamy Creamy Rainbow Tortellini Salad
No one likes a wimpy salad, that’s why you’ll love this Rainbow Tortellini Salad. Between the creamy dressing and fresh crunchy veggies and smoky ham, it’s the perfect main or side for anytime of the year.
You’ll also love it because it looks beautiful when served at your favorite summer celebration.
For this recipe, I use fresh tortellini. After all, fresh is always best and Buitoni makes a dreamy tortellini that goes well not only in salads but also in sauces.
Added to this is the smoky taste of ham steaks. I diced ham nuggets which give the salad a rich and meaty taste.
RELATED: Old Fashioned German Potato Salad
Finally, the salad is topped with a super rich and creamy dressing, that offers a touch of pineapple juice, garlic and ginger–yum!
I assemble everything in a large bowl, but you can most certainly use a collapsible bowl (see below) for ease of transporting it to a picnic.
This is a really great option, especially if you’re traveling to the beach or pool party. Once the salad has been consumed, collapse the bowl to save room in your cooler for more drinks and snacks.
Best of all, this salad is a crowd-pleaser. So if you are feeding fewer than that, you can always halve this recipe. Or, save the leftovers for next day’s lunch or dinner–it really holds up well! Enjoy!
For more delicious salad ideas, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Rainbow Tortellini Salad
This Rainbow Tortellini Salad is the perfect salad when hosting a party or for a refreshing family dinner. Made with a creamy ginger-garlic dressing and fresh veggies, it’s sure to become your next family favorite recipe.
- 20 oz cheese tortellini (Buitoni)
- 1 1/2 cups orange bell pepper , sliced in chunks
- 1 1/2 cups cucumber , halved, sliced
- 1 cup red onion , chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes , halved
- 1 cup frozen green peas , thawed
- 14 oz pineapple chunks (Dole), drained, juice reserved
- 2 cups ham , fully cooked, chopped in cubes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- Cook fresh tortellini per package instructions. (Note: You’ll be using only half of the tortellini or 10 ounces. Save the rest for another meal or salad.)
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl.
- Mix the dressing ingredients in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Add the tortellini to the salad and mix well.
- Dress the salad lightly. The rest of the dressing put into a sealed container for later.
- Refrigerate both salad and dressing until ready to eat.
- Have the extra dressing available for those who want to drizzle more dressing on their salad.
- Serve. Enjoy!