Get out this fall with your family and do some pumpkin picking. But before you do, check out some helpful pumpkin picking tips, as well as, a handy list of 17 local pumpkin patches and farms right here in Southeastern Wisconsin.
17 Southeastern Wisconsin Pumpkin Farms to Visit This Fall
It’s fun for all when pumpkin picking here in Wisconsin and the perfect autumn activity for the whole family.
It’s fall and a visit to a pumpkin patch is just what is in order to take advantage of the great fall weather we are having, as well as taking in the sights and sounds of the seasons (think viewing fall color and geese flying south).
Tips for Picking the Perfect Pumpkin
It’s also the perfect time to make memories with your kids, young and old.
But first here are my favorite tips for picking the “perfect” pumpkin:
- Choose a pumpkin that can easily be lifted by the finder. If it can’t be lifted, it doesn’t get picked.
- Choose only the smallest of pumpkins if you want to use them in an arrangement. Carving small pumpkins aren’t safe for small hands, nor the results successful—usually—just saying.
- Pick bright and cheery pumpkins. If it’s squishy and looks bruised, pass on it. It won’t last until Halloween.
- Don’t pick green pumpkins. They don’t carve well, so unless you are painting it a different color, say purple, white or black—green doesn’t look too mean.
- Bumpy pumpkins are great for non-carve folks. Add googlie eyes and other stick-on face parts. Carving is very difficult especially for beginners.
- Make sure the pumpkin is somewhat level—unless that is the look you are going for. Besides, it’s safer when carving a pumpkin if it’s sitting level.
Best Local Pumpkin Patches to Visit in Southeastern Wisconsin
Get the pick of the patch by visiting one of these fun pumpkin farms with your family.
- Lindens Pumpkin Farm and Corn Maze – New Berlin
- Patterson Orchards – New Berlin
- Homestead Animal Farm – Hartland
- Squire’s Pumpkin Patch – Burlington
- Cozy Nook Farms – Waukesha
- Schuett Farms – Mukwonago
- Apple Holler – Sturtevant
- Basse’s Taste of Country – Colgate
- Jim’s Pumpkin Farm – Germantown
- Elegant Farmer – Mukgonago
- Eberts Greenhouse Village – Ixonia
- Green Meadows – East Troy
- Swan’s Pumpkin Farm – Franksville
- Apple Barn Orchard and Winery – Elkhorn
- Land of the Giants – Sturtevant
- Cedar burg Creek Farm – Cedarburg
- Jerry Smith Country Store & Pumpkin Farm – Kenosha
Finally, once you’ve got your pumpkins, check out these quick tutorials to decorate—carve or no-carve options.