Enjoy a hearty meal with this Potato Gnocchi with Meat Sauce recipe that uses vine-ripened tomatoes and pillowy gnocchi in a rich meaty sauce.
Quick and Easy Potato Gnocchi with Meat Sauce
I love, love, love pasta, but sometimes I need a break from the same-old. I could turn to a veggie alternative like Spaghetti Squash, but sometimes my tastebuds hunger for something else like another Italian favorite recipe: Potato Gnocchi with Meat Sauce.
Never tried gnocchi? You’re not alone. Lots of folks are shy about trying it. But you really should.
RELATED: Authentic Bolognese with Meat Sauce
In fact, gnocchi has been around for ages, literally. Gnocchi, translated, means “knot in wood.” Sources say potato gnocchi was cooked in a tomato sauce during Carnival in Verona, Italy, sometime in the 1500’s. But before that, it had been made for well over 2000 years with wheat, semolina and other flours.
Did You Know? Gnocchi holds its shape well and adds pillowy goodness to any sauce, including tomato-based meat sauces, pesto, Alfredo, and butter-garlic.
Today, gnocchi is just as easy to make as pasta and offers a secret that really adds to its deliciousness–ridges that allow the sauce to collect in its valleys. Yum!
What I really love about this pasta-alternative is that that most stores carry gnocchi pre-packaged. Which means for you (and me), less fuss and muss. But that being said, if you’ve got the time, you can also make it at home. Truly, both are great options for this recipe.
Make Potato Gnocchi at Home – Lidia Bastianich
Learn how to make Potato Gnocchi at home, the quick and easy way, with this super video tutorial from Master Italian Chef Lidia Bastianich.
To Make the Meat Sauce
Start by browning the meat, adding spices, carrots, celery and onions and cooking until tender, approximately 15 minutes. Then it’s time to add the tomatoes, tomato paste and red wine. Cook for another five minutes.
Next, whether you make the gnocchi at home or buy it at the store, be sure to precook them in boiling salted for about five minutes, or until the gnocchi rise to the top. Then, strain and add it to your meat sauce. Stir well.
Cook for another five minutes.
Then, remove from the heat and serve immediately. Garnish with grated parmesan and enjoy!
Potato Gnocchi with Meat Sauce
- 1.5 lbs ground chuck
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup onions
- 1/2 cup celery chopped finely
- 1/2 cup carrots chopped finely
- 2 garlic cloves minced finely
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 26.46 oz Pomi Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1.5 lbs homemade or store-bought gnocchi like Gia Russa Gnocchi with Potato
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Grated Parmesan to garnish
- In a large skillet, fry the ground chuck, approximately 7-10 minutes until browned.
- Add the bay leaf, oregano, and onion powder. Stir again.
- Next, add the olive oil and sauté the onions, carrots and celery with the browned meat.
- Add minced garlic and stir well.
- Then, add the tomato paste and the chopped tomatoes.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add the red wine and continue simmering for another 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook the gnocchi, (according to package instructions) or if fresh, in a large pot of boiling salted water. When the gnocchi rise to the top, drain or use a slotted spoon or stainless steel spider strainer.
- Place the gnocchi directly into the simmering meat sauce. Stir gently.
Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!