This Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce recipe, based off a Pink Sauce, uses tomatoes, mostaccioli pasta, Italian sausage, peppers and mushrooms.
Mostaccioli Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce and Sausage Recipe
This Italian-inspired dish, Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce Recipe, is rich and meaty and based off the classic Pink Sauce. And, it’s made with simple ingredients like mostaccioli pasta, sweet Italian sausage, bell peppers and mushrooms.
I’m most happy when my refrigerator is filled with farm fresh vegetables so that I can make a variety of healthy dishes for my family. One in particular is this recipe for Tomato Cream Sauce.
The secret to the sauce is that it uses cream to add richness and depth but doesn’t overpower the other fresh ingredients like basil, onions, bell peppers and mushrooms.
You’ll love this recipe because, you can easily make the sauce while cooking your pasta al dente.
Cooking Tip: If you fry up the Italian sausage ahead of time, you’ll be well on your way to completing this dish, from start to finish in under 15 minutes.
The initial ingredients for the sauce include tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, basil and crusty bread (that’s for dunking the extra sauce in your bowl).
Start by boiling up one pound of dry mostaccioli pasta. (But you can use any of your favorite pasta types.)
Cooking Tip: Be sure to salt your water with a tablespoon of salt.
You’ll want your salted water to be at a hard boil before adding the dry pasta. Cook the pasta for approximately eight minutes.
While the pasta is cooking, sauté finely chopped onions and green peppers in a large pot.
Add to this finely chopped mushrooms.
Then, using a food processor, puree five tomatoes that have been cut into quarters. Go for a fine but not entirely smooth consistency.
Add this to the sautéing vegetables and stir well.
Add your favorite jarred tomato sauce or marinara. I used Michaels of Brooklyn for this recipe. You’ll need 32 ounces total of sauce.
At this time, add your cooked Italian sausage.
Cook the sauce until the pasta is finished.
The secret to a rich and thick tomato sauce is to add 3/4 cups of the mostaccioli pasta water. Just be careful because the water is very hot. Then, add your drained mostaccioli pasta to the sauce.
It takes a couples of passes with a spoon to get all the pasta and meat sauce incorporated together.
Then, it’s time to add a 3/4 cup of cream. Stir well again and cook for another five minutes at a simmer.
Remove the Mostaccioli Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce and Sausage off the heat and ladle into bowls. Serve with crusty bread. Enjoy!
For more delicious pasta dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce and Sausage
For the Pasta:
- 1 lb dry pasta
- 1 tbsp salt
- 16 cups water
For the Sauce:
- 1 lb Italian sausage sweet
- 1/2 cup onions chopped finely
- 1/2 cup green bell peppers chopped finely
- 1/2 cup mushroom chopped finely
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chopped
- 5 tomatoes quartered and pureed
- 32 oz tomato sauce or marinara
- 3/4 cup pasta water
- 3/4 cup cream
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Crusty Bread optional
For the Pasta:
- To a large stockpot add 16 cups of water (4 quartwith 1 tbsp salt and heat to boiling.
- Add the pasta and cook for 8 minutes.
For the Sauce:
- Fry the Italian sausage until cooked 7-8 minutes. Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven, sauté the chopped onions, green peppers, and mushrooms on medium high heat until softened for approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, pureed tomatoes and tomato sauce. Stir well.
- Turn down the heat to medium and add the pasta water and strained al dente pasta.
- Stir well and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the cream, stirring until you don’t see any white traces of the cream. Take the pan off the heat.
- Add the chopped fresh basil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with crusty bread. Enjoy!