This restaurant-style, One Pot Spicy Mexican Rice Recipe, is easy to make and adds a pleasing spicy kick to any side of meat.
This One Pot Spicy Mexican Rice recipe is the perfect side dish for any Mexican dinner. It’s made with simple ingredients and assembles in 45 minutes or less.
When I eat out at a Mexican restaurant, it goes without saying that I have to have refried beans and Mexican rice. Together it’s a perfect paring for all south-of-the-border meat dishes.
So, I decided to bring this recipe home and make it for my own family, after all, we do eat quite a number of Mexican-inspired dishes.
Now, I know the recipe name says “spicy” but spiciness doesn’t necessarily mean hot, hot, hot. For this dish, I use an amalgamation of chili peppers, along with rich toasted spices that give this rice dish layers of flavor.
How to Make Vegan Mexican Rice – You’ll find that making one ingredient change will allow even vegans to enjoy this recipe. Just substitute the chicken stock with vegetable stock or water. It’s that easy! Enjoy!
How to Make Mexican Rice Step-by-Step
This dish starts similarly to my Hungarian Paprika Rice recipe with onions that have been chopped. Place them in a stock pot, along with olive oil.
Sauté the onions until they are translucent.
Next, add your spices. Stir well to incorporate.
Add long grain rice and stir well with the onion-spice mixture.
This process will infuse the spices into the grains of rice.
I like to add at this point chicken stock. You can use chicken broth or water (if you are making this dish vegan).
Bring the rice up to a simmer and cook for 35 minutes or so until the rice is cooked.
Stir the rice half way through and add extra liquid (1/2 cup at a time), if needed.
Complete the recipe by adding a can of chili peppers, chunky tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook for an additional five minutes or so. Serve hot. Enjoy!
What to Serve with Mexican Rice
There are so many options for what to serve with this Mexican Rice recipe. Here are just a few of my favorites:
- Grilled Steak
- Grilled Chicken
- Grilled Shrimp
- Burrito Bowls
- Refried Beans
For more delicious Mexican-inspired recipes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
One Pot Spicy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups onions chopped finely
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp fajita seasoning
- 3 cups long grain rice
- 6 cups chicken stock more if needed
- 1 can green chilis
- 1 1/2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup tomatoes seeded, and chopped finely
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a stock pot, add the olive oil and heat to medium high heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until they are translucent, approximately 5 minutes.
- Next add the spices. Stir well.
- Then add the rice and stir until combined with this mixture.
- Pour in the chicken stock and mix with the rice. Simmer for 35-40 minutes until rice is softened.
- Stir halfway through this time and if the rice is too dry, add more chicken stock, 1/2 cup at a time.
- Finally, add the green chilis and tomato sauce, tomatoes and cook for an additional 5 minutes or so.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!