Old Fashioned Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles is a low-cost comfort dish that is both satisfying and delicious and ready in 20 minutes.
Old Fashioned Hungarian Cabbage and Noodles
My grandmother was a jack-of-all-trades when it came to cooking. She also knew the value of a dollar.
Back in the day, she had to get her family through many tough and lean years. To keep the family budget in check, she used lots of garden vegetables in her cooking. And, the one vegetable that got the most “mileage” was cabbage.
Cabbage and Noodles is a very old recipe. It has been considered peasant food for generations, in fact. It takes a bit of butter (or lard), cabbage and noodles.
As a meal, it is tasty and satisfying but is very budget-friendly. One medium head cabbage can easily feed six adults.
For the most part, this is a very quick recipe for busy families. Even back when my grandma made this for her family, folks didn’t necessarily want to spend much time in the kitchen either. Which meant that the time saved, left more time spent with each other.
From start to finish, this meal takes about 20 minutes or less. Not too bad, I think.
Now, here are some additional ideas for serving this recipe:
• Bake or fry Kielbasa or Hungarian sausage to serve alongside the cabbage and noodles.
• Want to add more veggie goodness? Add chopped carrots and celery.
• Don’t like pasta? You can use boiled red potatoes or peeled russet potatoes that have been cut into chunks.
• Like a more smoky taste? Add Spanish paprika, in place of Sweet Hungarian paprika.
• Not set on sausage? Try Smoked Butt. It’s absolutely delish with this dish.
Finally, be sure to serve this Old Fashioned Hungarian Noodles and Cabbage with crusty butter bread. Enjoy!
Old Fashioned Hungarian Noodles and Cabbage
- 7 cups cabbage green, chopped
- 5 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp bacon grease (optional)
- 4 cups pasta fettuccine or egg noodles, cooked
- 1 tbsp Hungarian Sweet Paprika
- Salt and Pepper to taste
In a large stockpot place all ingredients, except pasta and cook for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender. Add pasta and cook through for another 5 minutes. Serve hot. Enjoy!