This Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake recipe is made from scratch with a crunchy crumble topping and rich, moist fruit filing.
How to Make Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake Recipe
My favorite dump cake recipe has to be hands down my Grandma’s Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake.
It’s been enjoyed for well over a century. And, whenever I make this dessert recipe, memories come flooding back. Memories of my mom and grandmother, both of whom were great bakers.
Mostly they made this cake for family gatherings but it’s also been made for potlucks, too.
But, what makes this dessert a standout is that it’s basically a simple dump cake recipe. In other words, you dump all of the ingredients into a bowl, then into a well-greased pan.
Top with the crumble and bake it. Easy-peasy.
And, because I’m usually feeding a crowd, I double the original recipe, so that perfectly fills up a 9×13 greased pan.
However, if you only need a small cake (8×8 inch), halve the recipe ingredients.
Finally, here’s my favorite tip: Once your Fruit Cocktail Cake has cooled a bit, serve it with homemade Chantilly Whipped Cream. It’s delish!
For more old fashioned recipes and ideas, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section and these family favorites:
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Maple Cream Cheese Frosting
- Bishop Cake Recipe
- Homemade Roasted Pumpkin Pie
- Chocolate Mint Flourless Cake
- Midwest Spice Pear Cake
Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake Recipe
- 2 eggs large
- 30 ounces Dole Fruit Cocktail heavy syrup
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup walnuts chopped, you can substitute with pecans
- Homemade Whipped Cream optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a well-greased 9×13 inch cake pan, place all the ingredients, except the brown sugar and nuts. Mix well.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar evenly over the top of the batter, and then follow with the chopped nuts.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for at least 10 minutes.
- Serve with homemade whipped cream. Serve. Enjoy!