For a fresh twist on a classic recipe, try this Mixed Herb and Nut Pesto. It’s delicious when served on meat, seafood, used on hot pasta or on toasted bruschetta.
How to Make Mixed Herb and Nut Pesto Recipe
It’s been a long while since I’ve made homemade pesto but I’m certainly glad I did. This time I created my own take on the Italian classic pesto recipe. I think it’s the best one ever!
The ingredients I use are reminiscent of my travels in Italy: fresh basil and parsley, walnuts, almonds and pine nuts. Added to this, I used lots of garlic, extra virgin olive oil and, of course, Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese. It doesn’t get better than this.
If you’re game, you can substitute parsley leaves with mint or even oregano. However, because oregano is pretty potent, you might want to use 1/3 less of this herb and use more of the basil and parsley, instead.
If you are vegan and want to forego the cheese, go right ahead. Just add a pinch of salt to draw out the ingredients’ flavors.
The nuts, are a different story. I’ve made pesto using all walnuts, a mix of pistachios (yum!) and even cashews.
I like almonds because they add a smooth texture to the pest. Regardless of what nuts you choose, you’ll treat yourself to different taste nuances. And, that’s not a bad thing.
In fact, Italians have been known to do the same thing with the classic pesto recipe, for well over 2000 years.
To make this recipe is just a matter of placing everything into a food processor and pulsing until almost smooth.
Here are some suggestions how to use this mixed herb and nut pesto recipe:
1. Use it with your favorite meat dish as a side or a topping.
2. Toss pesto with hot pasta.
3. Put a dollup on toasted bruschetta as an appetizer.
4. Use it as a rich dressing with your favorite pasta salad.
5. Slather some pesto on your favorite Italian Panini Sandwich
6. Drizzle it over a Classic Caprese Salad
7. Make a Pesto Pizza and add chunks of mozzarella and tomatoes, along with your favorite meat toppings.
Hungry yet? This recipe is so quick and easy to make and it takes less than 5 minutes to make. Enjoy!
For more delicious recipes like this Mixed Herb and Nut Pesto, check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Quick and Easy Mixed Herb and Nut Pesto Recipe
- 3 tbsp garlic minced
- 1 cup parsley chopped, lightly packed
- 1 cup basil chopped, lightly packed
- 1/3 cup walnuts whole
- 1/3 cup almonds whole
- 1/3 cup pine nuts toasted
- 1/4 cup olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese grated
- Lightly toast pine nuts in a small fry pan. Be sure not to burn. Remove and set aside.
- In a food processor add all of the ingredients, except olive oil and parmesan cheese, and pulse until chopped into small pieces.
- Add olive oil and pulse three more times.
- Add parmesan cheese and pulse again, three more times.
- Scoop into a bowl and serve over hot pasta or use as a condiment for meat and seafood, or as a topping for bruschetta.
- You can also spoon a teaspoonful of pesto into each compartment of an ice cube container, then fill to top with water and freeze until needed.