This May 1 give someone a gift from the heart with one of these quick and easy DIY May Day flower cones.
Given as a random act of kindness May Day Flower Cones, also known as nosegays, tussle-mussies and posies, are traditionally dropped off at doorsteps on May 1 as a way to show that “special someone” you care.
And, now you can create your own May Day flower cone with fresh or paper flowers. (See Instructions found below.)
May Day Flower Cones Are Meant to Be Given Away
The fun of flowers cones is to give them away. It’s a great way to do as a group activity. Consider doing this as a Girl Scout, Boy Scout, 4H or even a church youth group activity.
Don’t forget to add a poem, well wishes or even a quote quote. Tie it on with a brightly colored piece of yarn or string.
RELATED: 40 Priceless Gift Ideas for Mom
And, when you deliver your May Day Flower Cone, you can choose to do it face-to-face or anonymous. Just hook the flower cone on the front door and ring the doorbell–once.
Finally, don’t forget those who live far way. Use artificial or dried flowers instead of fresh ones and include a special message as a reminder of love and/or friendship to friends, family, college students or even military personnel.
Here are some suggestions of possible recipients who’d would love to receive your May Day Paper Flower Cones:
- Moms and Dads
- Aunts and Uncles
- Brothers and Sisters
- Military Personnel
- First Responders
- Residents at a nursing or group home
- Patients at a local Children’s Hospital
- Homebound or infirm of your parish or church.
May Day Flower Cones Tutorial
• Medium-weight craft paper or heavy-duty wrapping paper
• Scissors (decorative scissors, like pinking shears, optional)
• Tacky Glue or staples
• Hole Punch
• 1/2 – 1 inch wide ribbon, approximately 12 inches for each length of ribbon
1. Cut paper into an 8-inch square.
2. Pull opposite ends together and wrap, forming a cone-shape. Glue or staple the ends to hold. If necessary, use a bit of invisible tape to hold the cone’s shape until the glue has dried.
3. With a hole punch, make holes around the top and weave a piece of ribbon in and out through the holes. Tie in the back of the cone, so that you can hang the May Day Flower Cone off a door handle.
4. Add flowers. It’s best if you use a self-watering tube to keep your flowers fresh. Otherwise, add artificial ones, as necessary.
5. Give to a special someone.
Paper Cones Tutorial – ModernMom (Video)
So enjoy your May Day this May 1. Your family, friends and neighbors will be delighted with your wonderful bouquet (not to mention, your thoughtfulness).
For more fun seasonal crafts ideas, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Crafts Section.