A wonderfully light side dish, this vinaigrette marinated Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes is perfect for picnics. Ready in 15 minutes.
Lightly Dressed Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes
This Italian-inspired vinaigrette salad, Marinated Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes recipe is the perfect side dish all year. It’s so easy to make and ready in 15 minutes.
I usually oscillate between mayo and vinaigrette salads, especially when it comes to potato salads. For me, there’s nothing like the tang of vinegar to brighten up the smooth taste of potatoes.
So, when I decided to add Romano beans to the mix, I was amazed at the slight crunch it offered and how well the vinegar accented this summer beauty.
RELATED: Bird Style Romano Beans
This recipe for Marinated Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes requires few ingredients. It uses fresh herbs and garlic to give the dressing (as well as the salad) layers of flavor.
This dish takes about 15 minutes to make. To speed up the cooking process, cube the potatoes, and, while cooking, add the cut Romano beans to the boiling potato water. This makes for less clean up.
Thus, when the potatoes are cooked through, approximately 10 minutes, strain both the potatoes and beans and you’re ready to dress the salad.
If you like your potato salad with more vinaigrette, just double the recipe. I’ve found that it’s best to start out with minimal dressing and add more accordingly.
RELATED: Wax Beans with Mint Salad
The best part of this salad is that it travels well especially for picnics and outdoor events.
Make sure, however, that you give the salad some time to marinate. That way all of the flavors will be able to permeate the main ingredients.
Serve warm or cold. Either way is delicious. Enjoy!
For more picnic and party food ideas, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Marinated Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes
A wonderfully light side dish for summer, this Marinated Romano Bean Salad with Potatoes is perfect for picnics. Ready in 15 minutes.
- 3 cups red potatoes cubed
- 2 cups Romano beans chopped into 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups tomatoes cut into wedges
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar distilled vinegar, optional
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- fresh dill optional
- In a large sauce pan, fill with potatoes and cover with about an inch or so of water.
- Boil and cook for 7 minutes.
- Carefully add the Romano beans to the cooking potatoes.
- While this is cooking, make the dressing: olive oil, vinegar, garlic, lemon juice and basil.
- Mix well.
- Once the potatoes and beans have finished cooking (total of 10 minutes), strain and place in a salad bowl.
- Drizzle with dressing and chopped parsley.
- Toss well.
- Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve warm or cold. Enjoy!