This quick and easy recipe for Mashed Potato Pancakes assembles in minutes and great for any meal of the day.
Mashed Potato Pancakes Recipe
One recipe that my family has enjoyed for years are these loaded leftover Mashed Potato Pancakes. My mom learned this recipe from my grandmother, so you could say it’s a family favorite recipe that’s tried and true.
This recipe is designed for avoiding waste. And, since I’m a firm believer of avoiding waste in my everyday life–especially when it comes to food, I tend to gravitate to this recipe more often than not.
That means, leftovers like mashed potatoes can have a second life by upcycling them into something delicious for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
But the benefits of this recipe don’t stop there. I like the idea too of adding more layers of flavor to my potato pancakes.
So, don’t be afraid to try different shredded cheese types, spice mixes (think Mexican, Italian or French), vegetables, or even mushrooms.
DID YOU KNOW? Many nationalities share the same love for potatoes (mashed or not). Take the recipe for Irish Boxty (Irish Potato Cakes). It is made similarly to my loaded Mashed Potato Pancakes (recipe found below). What I find amazing is that whether you are Irish or Croatian eating economically nowadays is a must. Enjoy!
You’ll also find that “loaded” can mean just that–much like those delicious baked potatoes you know and love–by adding chopped bacon, shredded cheddar, green onions, topped with sour cream. The variations are endless!
To make your own potato pancakes:
Start with a couple of eggs, dried Italian breadcrumbs, shredded parmesan cheese, spice, and chopped green onions.
Then, in a large bowl, start adding the ingredients.
And, when you’ve done so, mix well with a spoon.
Then, heat some vegetable oil in a fry pan.
Add your potato pancakes and allow them to get to golden brown on the first side…
before flipping them to the other side.
Once cooked, blot briefly with paper toweling and then plate.
They’re perfect as is or when served alongside your favorite main dish.
My favorite meal is dolled up scrambled eggs and potato pancakes. Breakfast doesn’t get any better than this. Enjoy!
Need more great breakfast ideas? Try one of these other quick and easy recipes:
- Easy Breakfast Sandwich
- 10 Minute Eggs Benedict
- Ham and Cheese Frittata
- Bacon and Eggs Mini Muffin Frittatas
- Cheese Ham Egg and Potato Breakfast Casserole
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- 4 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup Italian flavored bread crumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped finely
- 1 tsp Italian spice mix
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, add all of the ingredients, except vegetable oil. Mix well with a spoon.
- Form the potato pancakes into palm-size servings. Place them on a plate.
- Next, add the vegetable oil (add more if necessary to coat the bottom) to a fry pan and heat on medium high heat. Wait for the oil to form mini ripples.
- Then, carefully lower each potato pancake into the fry pan to cook.
- Allow the pancakes to cook for approximately 5 minutes on one side until they turn golden.
- Flip and allow them to cook another 5 minutes or until gold brown on this side.
- Remove from the pan and briefly blot with a paper towel.
- Finally, plate the potato pancakes. Serve. Enjoy!