This Layered Italian Sausage Pasta Bake is rich and cheesy and full of layers of flavor. A family-favorite that assembles in no time at all.
Easy Cheesy Layered Italian Sausage Pasta Bake Recipe
When you are hungering for hearty dinner recipe that won’t disappoint, look no further than this Layered Italian Sausage Pasta Bake. It combines cooked Italian sausage, pasta smothered in a rich puttanesca sauce and topped with lots of cheesy goodness.
Weekly meal prep doesn’t have to be a drag. I came to this conclusion long ago when I started to make this quick and easy layered pasta bake recipe.
It won’t take much effort on your part, just a pan to boil the pasta, a baking dish and a medium fry pan, if you don’t have cooked sausage at the ready.
This recipe uses simple pantry items like a one pound bag of Alessi Italian Penne Pasta, two jars of Alessi Puttanesca Sauce, one cup of chopped tomatoes and basil and one pound cooked Italian sausage.
First prep your large baking dish (9×9 in or 2 1/2 quarts) with non-stick spray and begin layering with the sausage and tomato-basil mix.
Then, top with four ounces of a good Italian cheese blend.
At this point, top the cheese with a layer of sauce. By this time, the pasta should be al dente and ready to be added on top of the sauce.
For this task, I like to use a cooking spider because it really allows most of the pasta water to drain. Depending upon your baking dish, you’ll need approximately half of the cooked pasta or four cups. Be sure not to overfill as the pasta sauce might spill over.
I like to nudge my pasta sauce into the nooks and crannies. Layer generously but not to overfilling.
Add the rest of the cheese and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for approximately 45 minutes.
Cooking Tip: To avoid spillage, use a cookie sheet under the baking dish.
The Layered Italian Sausage Pasta Bake should have a nice light golden brown top. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for five minutes before serving.
As you can see, there’s plenty for all.
And, hearty enough for a meal or two. Be sure to serve this dish with a side salad and some crusty bread. Enjoy!
More Recommended Pasta Recipes
For more delicious pasta dishes for you and your family, here are my favorite picks:
- Pasta e Fagioli or Italian Bean Stew
- 10 Minute One Pan Pasta Recipe
- Artichoke Hearts with Braised Sausage Pasta
- Easy Baked Italian Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce
- Authentic Bolognese Ragu
- Baked Penne with Spinach and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
- Vegetable Puttanesca with Sausage
Layered Italian Sausage Pasta Bake Recipe
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage cooked
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 tbsp basil chopped
- 5 cups Alessi Putanesca Sauce
- 8 oz Sargento 6 Italian Cheese Mix
- 4 cups cooked penne pasta (Start with a 1 lb bag of Alessi dry penne pasta)
- non-stick spray
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Prepare the pasta according to package instructions. Cook to al dente.
- In a medium fry pan, fry the Italian sausage until cooked. Approximately 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Prepare your baking dish by spraying with non-stick spray.
- Begin layering in this order: starting with the Italian sausage, followed by the chopped tomatoes, basil, 1/2 cheese mix, and 3 cups of puttanesca sauce.
- Add a layer of cooked pasta, topped with the rest of the puttanesca sauce and the rest of the cheese mix.
- Place the baking dish on a cookie sheet to catch any drippings.
- Bake Layered Sausage Pasta Bake in the oven for approximately 45 minutes or until the cheese is lightly golden brown. Remove and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot with a side salad and crusty bread. Enjoy!