This Tuscan-style soup, Kale and Potato Soup Recipe (Zuppa Toscana) is a hearty stew that is both budget and family friendly. Ready in 45 minutes.
This Italian favorite soup/stew: Sausage Kale and Potato Soup, also known as Zuppa Toscana, is a mainstay in many home kitchens and for good reason. It’s a hearty, thick and satisfying soup that lends itself to feeding just one or a crowd.
I can’t say when I started making this soup for my family but it has long been my go-to dinner favorite for many years.
How to Make Zuppa Toscana
There’s something homey about this soup. For me, I like to think of it as a stew. Perhaps because it’s packed with hearty chunks of sausage, potato and kale. It’s filling but not too much–if you get my drift.
And it is one of the simplest and budget-friendly soups to make. The recipe calls for only a handful of ingredients and in just minutes you have a soup to feed a small family or doubled to feed a crowd.
Vegetarian Version: Use only potatoes and kale. You can also add carrots, celery, and spinach for a thicker, heartier stew.
This is also a great soup to make any time of the year. And, if you add a salad and some crusty Italian bread, you’ll have a delicious meal that takes less than 45 minutes to prepare!
Zuppa Toscana Ingredients
The basic recipe includes, kale, potatoes (I use red potatoes), bulk Italian sausage, onions, and chicken stock (although you could also use vegetable stock).
But if you want to get a bit adventurous you can also try these ingredients:
• crushed pepper flakes
• frozen meatballs
• cooked chicken
• fresh spinach
• chopped carrots
• diced celery
Also, you don’t have to add cream for it to taste good…. but….
if you want to live on the wild side, add a dollop or two of heavy whipping cream for a rich, decadent stew.
Either way, I do hope you’ll make this your own family-favorite. Buona tavola!
Author’s Note: This recipe offers large portions to feed a family of four (you can always double it or cut it in half, if you need more or less.)
And, for more delicious soup and stew recipes, be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Soup and Stew Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Tuscan Sausage, Kale and Potato Soup Recipe – Zuppa Toscana
- 6 Sweet Italian Sausages cooked, chopped
- 1/2 yellow onion large, diced fine
- 32 ounces chicken stock
- 4 cups red potatoes quartered or chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups kale roughly chopped
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half and half, or whole milk (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Freshly grated Parmesan Cheese optional
- In a large stock pot (5-6 quart), add all the ingredients together, except the milk/cream. Bring soup to a boil and then simmer for 30 minutes. Stirring occasionally.
- Soup will be done when you can easily pierce a potato wedge through with the tines of a fork. Take off heat. Add milk. Stir until mixed well. Serve immediately.
- As a special touch, you can add a little drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and freshly grated parmesan cheese on top of soup.