This Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe is made with chicken quarters, sweet paprika, onions and mushrooms in a rich smooth gravy.
Crowd-Pleasing Chicken Paprikash Recipe
One dish I never tire of is Chicken Paprikash. Perhaps it’s the deep, rich flavor of the Hungarian paprika or the oniony sauce that envelopes the chicken. Either way, it’s absolutely addicting.
This recipe comes from my grandmother who loved to cross culinary boundaries by making dishes that highlighted the very best from “the old country.”
5 Star-Recommended: Le Creuset 5 1/2 quart Dutch Oven from Amazon.com
Maybe that’s why I’m so fond of this recipe and why I’m always reminded of her whenever I make it.
It’s definitely a comfort food and can easily be doubled (or tripled). It’s just a matter of layering on enough of the rest ingredients in proportion to the amount of chicken you want (or need).
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash is a one-pot meal. Serve it as is or with a side.
Gather your ingredients for the recipe.
Add the onions on top of the chicken.
Next add the mushrooms to the pot.
Tip: You can also use Shiitake or other wild mushrooms for added flavor and texture.
Top with your spices: Paprika: sweet and smoked, garlic powder, onion powder, fresh ground pepper.
Add enough water to cover about 1/4 inch over all of the ingredients. Stir well.
Cook for about 50 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through before adding a slurry of potato starch and sour cream.
Stir well until creamy and without lumps.
Add this mixture in slowly to the Chicken Paprikash. It’s best if you remove the pot temporarily off the flame while incorporating the sour cream/starch mixture. Place back upon the heat and cook until thickened nicely.
Remove from heat. Serve over rice, spaetzle or dumplings, along with a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!
Hungarian Chicken Paprikash
This Hungarian Chicken Paprikash recipe is made with chicken quarters, sweet paprika, onions and mushrooms in a rich smooth gravy. It’s a hearty stew that you can make anytime of the year.
- 4 chicken thighs
- 4 chicken drumsticks
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 cups onions halved, sliced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp Hungarian Sweet Paprika
- 2 tbsp Hungarian Smoked Paprika
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 1 cup sour cream plus additional tablespoon to dollop for each serving
- Water as needed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Drizzle olive oil in an all-purpose stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Place the chicken in a single layer.
- Layer onions and mushrooms respectively.
- Add the spices.
- Stir well.
- Fill with water up to 1/4-1/2 inches above prior ingredients.
- Simmer for 50 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- In a bowl mix completely, sour cream and potato starch.
- Remove pan off heat and add the sour cream mixture to contents in pot.
- Place back on heat for another five minutes.
- Remove and serve over rice, spaetzle, or dumplings, with a dollop of sour cream.