This quick and easy appetizer dip and side dish, Homemade Mexican Guacamole recipe, uses avocados, minced onions, jalepeños, salsa and lime.
This quick and easy homemade Mexican guacamole recipe is the perfect companion to many salads, meat and veggie dishes, great as an appetizers, plus it’s gluten free.
The avocado is a favorite addition to any diet, especially vegetarian, vegan and paleo.
But what I love about the avocado is it’s versatility. You can slice it and dice it, but my favorite way to prepare avocados is by making guacamole.
How to Make Homemade Mexican Guacamole
I came up with this homemade Mexican guacamole recipe many, many years ago when I lived in Texas. It has been one of my go-to sides for any Mexican salad or entree, or just to dip as is.
My motto to making good guacamole is: keep it simple. That’s why I use minimal ingredients to add just the right amount of seasoning to bring out that “south-of-the-border” flavor that you’d expect.
Start with three semi-soft avocados. Cut length-wise around the outside of the avocado being sure to not cut into the center pit.
Then twist, exposing both sides of the avocado. Dispose of pits. Using a spoon, scoop out the avocado and place into a bowl.
To this, add one tablespoon of red onions, two tablespoons of salsa or finely chopped tomatoes, a pinch of salt, and finely minced jalapeño.
RECOMMENDED RESOURCE: Pati’s Mexican Table: The Secrets of Real Mexican Home Cooking (affiliate link)
Mix well. Next squeeze the juice of one lime over the guacamole and mix again to stop any browning.
Finally, sprinkle one tablespoon of chopped cilantro over the guacamole and serve chilled. Enjoy!
For more tasty Mexican dishes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section and these delicious recipes:
- Lonestar Salsa Recipe
- Chicken Enchiladas Recipe
- Oven Baked Tortilla Bowls
- Easy Chorizo Huevos Rancheros
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet
Homemade Mexican Guacamole
- 3 avocados pit removed, mashed
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp red onions minced
- 2 tbsp salsa or chopped, seeded tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño minced
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tbsp cilantro chopped finely
- Cut 3 avocados length-wise, remove pits, scoop out flesh and place avocado into a medium-size bowl.
- To the avocado, add salt, red onions, salsa/tomatoes, tomato and lime juice. Mix well.
- Chill. Serve with tortilla chips, fresh veggies or serve with your favorite salad or Mexican recipe. Enjoy.