This Homemade Fresh Cranberry Sauce recipe uses fresh picked cranberries, sugar and water, along with a touch of cinnamon, orange and spice.
Midwest Favorite – Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Just like grandma used to make, this Homemade Fresh Cranberry Sauce recipe uses fresh picked cranberries, some orange juice, sugar and water, along with a touch of cinnamon and spice.
But cranberries are not just for Thanksgiving. We usually stock up in the fall when the new cranberry crop becomes available and freeze them to have them all year long.
DID YOU KNOW? Cranberries are rich source of vitamin C, carbs and fiber. It’s also delicious when made into juice and dried.
Frozen cranberries, like fresh ones can quickly and easily made into a condiment or even a dessert that is both sweet, tart and delicious within minutes.
Consider this recipe if you need something sweet but also healthy for your family.
How to Make Fresh Cranberry Sauce
Start with 12 ounces of fresh or frozen cranberries.
To this add sugar.
One orange peel. Try to avoid getting too much pith when peeling. This will make the sauce taste bitter.
Next, you’ll need one-half cup of fresh squeeze orange juice.
Then simmer all of these ingredients over medium high heat for 10 to 15 minutes until the cranberry sauce thickens.
Once cooked, remove from the heat and allow it to cool slightly before serving. You can also make this sauce ahead of time and refrigerate it until you’re ready to eat it. Enjoy!
What to Do with Leftover Cranberries
Here are some tasty recipes that use leftover Homemade Fresh Cranberry Sauce:
- Use as a filling with Brie Wrapped in Puff Pastry.
- Use a few dollops in cherry or orange Jello.
- Use as a topping for Pumpkin Spice or Amish Pancakes.
- Use as a base for Spicy Cranberry Cocktail Meatballs appetizer.
- Use as a topping for Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream.
- Use as a filling with a premade tart crust.
- Use as a replacement for jelly in Oven-Baked Peanut Butter and Jelly Crescents.
- Use as a filling for Jam Filled Hand Pies.
Homemade Fresh Cranberry Sauce Recipe
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 slice orange peel
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup water
- In a medium sauce pot, add all of the ingredients. Stir well and cook at a simmer for 10-15 minutes until the cranberries become soft. Remove orange peel. Serve warm or chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat. Enjoy!