These baked Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon are a simple side dish that’s topped with smoked bacon, butter, sour cream, cheese and chopped green onions.
Easy Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon Recipe
It’s potato season here in Wisconsin and I couldn’t resist trying a new recipe to include my favorite spuds.
So what better way than these Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon. Okay, I get it—everything is better with bacon—even smoked apple wood bacon? Yes!
This recipe, then, takes the best ideas for loaded potatoes and turns it inside out.
Not only do you get crispy potatoes that also offer a soft potatoey inside. But when you add the rest of the toppings, well, it’s like little bites that just ooze layers of flavor.
And, I didn’t even mention that this dish looks amazing when presented at the table.
So what is the secret? The bacon. Yes, I know I mentioned it before, but this is the key to the whole recipe. You see, it’s the bacon that gets oven crisped while each carefully sliced potato bakes. And, it’s this same bacon that imparts a bit of smokiness to each little spud.
How to Make Hasselback Potatoes
Start by thinly slicing the potatoes width-wise. The trick here is to cut it 3/4 of the way down but not completely through the potato. Then place them in a sided casserole dish.
Then layer on a small slab of butter.
Follow this with a smidgeon of shredded cheese.
Topped by, you guessed it, bacon!
After about 50 minutes or so of baking uncovered in a preheated 375 degree F oven, the potatoes are crispy and ready to serve–well, almost….
The final pièce de résistance is to top it with your favorite ingredients like sour cream and finely chopped green onions. Whola! You have yourself a tator to remember. Enjoy!
What to serve with Hasselback Potatoes
These potatoes should be considered a mainstay in your recipe repetroire and can easily replace most other potato dishes.
Serve it with the following:
- Oven Roasted BBQ Ribs
- Salt and Herb Crusted Prime Rib Roast
- Cuban Shredded Pulled Pork (Carnitas)
- Baked Lemon Chicken
- Pistachio Dijon Crusted Salmon
- Skillet Salisbury Steak
Hasselback Potatoes with Bacon
- 12 small yellow potatoes
- 6 tbsp butter unsalted
- 3 slices bacon sliced into four equal slices
- 1/4 cup Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions greens only
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Wash the potatoes, then cut evenly spaced, thin slices width-wise, about 3/4 of the way down but not to the bottom of each potato.
- Place each sliced potato in a sided baking dish.
- Evenly distribute the butter between the potatoes, approximately 1/2 tsp each. Top each potato with the butter.
- Follow with approximately 1/2 tsp of shredded cheese on top of the butter.
- Finally, place one small piece of bacon on each potato on top of the cheese.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes uncovered until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Remove from oven and top with a dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions.
- Serve hot. Enjoy!