This quick and easy Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing recipe is made with delicious savory ingredients and made from scratch in 60 minutes or less.
Made from Scratch – Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
You can enjoy the benefits of eating gluten free during Thanksgiving and the holidays with this made-from-scratch recipe for Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing.
This recipe uses no flour of any kind and is true to form with the simple fresh and savory ingredients that you’ve come to love: celery, onions, parsley, sage and thyme.
And, best of all, you can make this recipe a day or two ahead of time, in order to make your day-of prep for the arrival of friends and family as stress free as possible. And, speaking of stress free, be sure to check out my helpful hints for stress free entertaining.
But I digress. Anyway, this recipe was inspired because not only do I love cornbread stuffing, but I also love the fact that it allows those that require gluten free dressing to enjoy it just as much as I do.
How to Make Cornbread Stuffing
Start by making a double batch of my No Flour Cornbread Recipe. It is a quick and easy dump recipe that bakes up in 20 minutes or so. Because of doubling, you will need to put the cornbread batter in pre-greased 9×13 inch baking dish.
Don’t forget to check doneness by placing a toothpick in the center and making sure it comes out clean before removing it from the oven.
Once that task has been completed, then you will slice and dice the celery and onions. You’ll also want to finely chop the herbs so that they can be easily incorporated into the stuffing.
Both the vegetables and herbs will be sautéed in butter in a fry pan for about 5 minutes or so, until everything becomes fragrant and softened. Remove from the heat and set aside.
Then, slice or break the cooled, baked cornbread into small chunks or piece. Don’t worry if it become crumbly, that’s what you want. Place this into a large bowl and add the sautéed vegetables and herbs.
Slowly add the turkey or chicken broth and stir gently. You don’t want to add too much, just enough so that the cornbread is slightly moist.
Not sure how to make turkey or chicken stock? Check out this handy video tutorial from Laura in the Kitchen:
Then place the stuffing in a greased baking casserole dish and place in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 35-40 minutes until the Cornbread Stuffing comes out crispy on the top.
Remove and serve hot. Enjoy!
Cornbread Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Yes, you can make this recipe ahead of time. You can bake it up and then reheat it or assemble it, without adding any stock and then when ready to bake, add your stock and bake for approximately 35-40 minutes in a preheated 375 degree F oven.
You will need to check the package ingredients to see if your cornmeal contains any additional ingredients. But by itself, cornmeal is usually considered gluten free.
You will need approximately 10-12 cups of baked cornbread for this recipe.
No, you will not need to add eggs to this recipe. You can, if you want, but then you will need to add less stock. You will need 2-3 eggs beaten maximum.
Yes, you can add sausage to this recipe. Try sweet Italian sausage, Andouille or even chorizo as a delicious addition.
To make this recipe vegetarian, omit turkey stock and replace with vegetable stock. The cornbread does contain sour cream, so if you want this dairy free, you will need to add a no-dairy replacement for this ingredient.
You can add cooked sausage (see above answer), dried cranberries or apricots, green scallions or even cooked giblets.
For more ideas for what to serve with your Thanksgiving turkey or holiday meats, be sure to check out this handy article: 20 Simple Thanksgiving Side Dishes Recipes.
Gluten Free Cornbread Stuffing Recipe
For the Cornbread
- 12 cups No Flour Cornbread Recipe approximately (See Recipe Link in Notes below)
For the Stuffing
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 1/2 cup onion peeled, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 cup celery chopped finely
- 2 tbsp fresh sage chopped finely
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme stalks removed and leaves chopped finely
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped finely
- 2 cups turkey stock chicken or vegetable stock, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
For the Cornbread
- Prepare a double batch of No Flour Cornbread that has been baked in a greased 9×13 inch baking pan. Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick that has been poked in the center of the cornbread comes out clean. Allow to slightly cool.
- Once cooled, slice the cornbread into small pieces. Do not worry if the cornbread becomes crumbly. Place this in a large bowl.
For the Stuffing
- In a fry pan, melt the butter and sauté the vegetables and herbs for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Combine with cornbread, stirring carefully.
- Slowly stir in turkey stock until the cornbread becomes slightly moist. Add salt and pepper.
- Then place prepared stuffing in a greased baking dish and bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for approximately 25-30 minutes until the cornbread is crispy (light golden) on the top.
- Remove and serve hot. Enjoy!