This gluten-free Flemings Creamed Corn recipe uses corn, onions, jalapeños, and cheese and cooks up quickly on the stovetop for a delightfully spicy (but not too spicy) side dish.
This Fleming’s Steakhouse-inspired side dish: Flemings Creamed Corn recipe is bold and spicy and perfect alongside your favorite roasted or grilled meat.
It’s definitely not like the creamed corn you’d find in a can. This version uses either fresh or frozen corn that’s cooked in a thick creamy, rich cheese sauce that’s laced with both jalapeños and green chilis and spice.
It’s cooked on the stovetop, although you can bake it for a richer, cheesier version.
But it’s not just for weeknights. In fact, Flemings Creamed Corn is a perfect side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinner. Just double (or triple) the recipe for larger crowds.
Love this recipe? Then you’ll definitely want to try this south-of-the-border favorite: Spicy Mexican Corn Casserole.
How to Make Flemings Creamed Corn Recipe
The recipe itself is quite simple: corn, onions, green chilis, jalapeños and cheese–plenty of cheese, please! The ingredient that makes the dish is corn meal. It acts not only as a thickener but it also gives this recipe a deeper corn flavor.
Make 2 Ways: On Stove or in Oven
You can finish up this dish on the stove or in the oven. If you’ve got time, just scoop the creamed corn into a greased gratin-like dish, add a touch more cheese on top and then pop it in a preheated oven at 400 degrees F.
It only takes a couple of minutes for the cheese to melt and get slightly golden brown. That’s when it’s ready to take out of the oven and serve.
Or, if you’re in a pinch for time and need this recipe for Flemings Creamed Corn fast, finish it up on the stovetop and serve it up nice and hot.
Either way, this is a great corn dish that I hope your family will love as much as mine. Enjoy!
For more delicious side dish recipes like this gluten-free Flemings Creamed Corn recipe, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Flemings Creamed Corn Recipe
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1 medium onion chopped, finely
- 2 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 ounces canned green chilis diced (Hatch brand)
- 1 jalapeño chopped finely
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tbsp yellow corn meal
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup Sargento® Artisan Blends® Shredded Authentic Mexican Cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large sauce pan, sauté the chopped onions in olive oil until translucent.
- Add frozen corn (no need to thaw), chilis, jalapeño, chicken broth and spices to the sauce pan. Stir well. Bring to a boil.
- Once at a boil, turn the heat down to a simmer and add corn meal. Stir constantly.
- Cook for about five minutes or until the sauce thickens. Then add heavy cream. Cook for about a minute, stirring well.
- Take off heat and add cheese. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Enjoy!