When you want dinner fast and healthy too, why not get the kids (or grandkids) involved and let them make some easy pita pizzas. Bakes in under 10 minutes.
Quick and Easy Pita Pizzas
Years ago when my kids were much younger, I wanted to share with them the joy of cooking.
But there are only so many recipes for kids to do all by themselves. Not many recipes allow kids to take charge and be inventive. I decided to take steps to change this.
So, the next time that my son came home with his buddies, I set out the fixings for my easy pita pizzas.
RELATED: Easy Margherita Pizza Recipe
I already knew that pita toasted up perfectly when quartered and placed in a toaster, so it wouldn’t be a stretch for it to be the perfect crispy base for these kid-friendly pizzas if baked in an oven.
The trick to this recipe, however, is simple: put out lots of delicious toppings for the pizza and let the kids go wild!
As you can see by my sample here, I’ve limited it for our weekday dinner, but of course, you can definitely add more (I did the first time but didn’t take a photo of it.) The healthier the better!
First preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. (Moms and dads you will need to oversee this part.) Then you’ll start out with full-sized pitas.
Use homemade pizza/tomato sauce or store-bought sauce like Contadina Pizza Sauce.
RELATED: Chicken Alfredo Pizza Recipe
Next, add your favorite meat (like ground chuck, Italian Sausage, and Hormel Pepperoni) and cheese…
and more meat and cheese and any other toppings you want.
Just remember to finish with cheese.
Pop it in the preheated oven, 450 degrees F for about 9 minutes and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Remove from the oven.
Slice and serve. Enjoy!
Try one (or more) of these toppings on your Pita Pizzas:
- Italian sausage
- Grilled Chicken
- Green Peppers
- Red Onions
- Black Olives
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Alfredo Sauce
- Barbecue Sauce
- No Sauce
RELATED: Easy Pepperoni Pizza Puffs
For more delicious pizza recipes, be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Dinner Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Easy Pita Pizzas Recipe
- 6 pitas (whole wheat, optional)
- 15 ounce Contadina Pizza Squeeze Pizza Sauce
- 1 pound ground beef cooked (optional)
- 1 pound Italian Sausage cooked (optional)
- 7 ounces Hormel Pepperoni Slices (optional)
- 1 cup onions chopped finely
- 1 cup green peppers chopped finely
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced thinly
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded –more if you like your pizzas really cheesy
- 1/2 cup black olives optional
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Lay out your pitas and begin by adding pizza sauce. Spread out to the sides.
- Next, add your favorite meat and vegetables.
- Finish by sprinkling shredded cheese over pizza.
- Place on pizza stone or cookie sheet and bake for approximately 9-10 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and slice. Enjoy!