Baked Italian Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce Recipe uses artichoke hearts, mushrooms baked in a rich ground beef and cheese sauce.
My easy Baked Italian Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce is a recipe that has it all: gooey cheese, al dente penne pasta and a tangy meat sauce. Your whole family will love it!
When I think about quick and healthy meals, my easy Penne Pasta with Meat Sauce comes to mind. It is packed with flavor and takes but a few ingredients to create this family favorite.
It also boasts artichokes which also adds more flavor and depth to this dish.
This version makes 8 servings but the recipe can be easily doubled ( or tripled) to serve larger crowds.
Leftovers the next day are awesome, too! So make extra and freeze for later. You’ll be glad you did!
How to Make Easy Baked Italian Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce
Start by browning the ground meat and once cooked through add the mushrooms right in the pot.
To all of those ingredients, add tomato sauce and artichokes.
It’s best to spray the baking dish with non-stick spray first and then pour everything into the baking dish. Then top with mozzarella.
Bake it at 400 degrees F for 30-40 minutes until the cheese becomes golden brown.
Remove from oven and let cool for approximately 5-10 minutes.
Recommended Products for This Recipe
Preparation for this recipe is simple with these essential products.
I believe the staple of any kitchen is a colander and for me I choose OXO Good Grips Stainless-Steel Colander. It has easy-grip handles and “feet” that keep the base of the colander off the sink floor. Perfect for making pasta or anytime you need to strain.
For even browning and baking use porcelain or ceramic. I recommend either Pillivuyt’s Porcelain 3-Quart (11-inch) Square Baker (left below), or the sturdy ceramic, CorningWare’s French White II (3-Quart) Bakeware (right below).
For more delicious Italian-inspired recipes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Easy Baked Italian Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 12 ounces penne pasta dried
- 12 ounces Cento artichoke hearts
- 12 ounces Rao’s Pasta Sauce
- 1 cup onion chopped finely
- 1 cup fresh mushrooms sliced thinly
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tbsp Penzey’s Italian Spice Mix
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes.
- 1 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- olive oil extra virgin, drizzle
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To a large kettle boil 3-4 quarts of water or per pasta package instructions.
- Add pasta. Cook for 8-9 minutes.
- Drain and set aside pasta. Do not rinse.
- In a large frying pan, brown the ground chuck.
- Add onions and mushrooms.
- Add tomato sauce and artichokes.
- Mix well.
- Spray the baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour entire mixture into the baking dish. Top with mozzarella.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-40 minutes until the cheese becomes golden brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool for about five minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil. Serve. Enjoy!