This doctored Death by Chocolate Cake recipe tastes better than from-scratch and uses sour cream, cocoa powder and chocolate chips. No pudding or butter needed.
What is Death by Chocolate Cake?
A Death by Chocolate Cake is an over the top cake that offers layers of chocolate goodness in every bite from the frosting to the cake itself.
It is a decadent dessert that is rich and chocolatey cake and stands above all others.
So, for chocoholics like myself, it doesn’t disappoint.
In need of a fancy dessert for a special event, I decided to make my standby cake a cut above what I normally would make. And, with just a few adjustments, I baked a cake that by all accounts ranked right there with my favorite gluten free Chocolate Mint Flourless Cake.
Step by Step How to Spice Up a Chocolate Box Cake
Being a “doctored” recipe, this means that I started not from scratch but with a standard chocolate cake mix that doesn’t have pudding as part of its ingredients.
My box cake of choice is Betty Crocker Super Moist Milk Chocolate Cake Mix, although you can use any basic chocolate cake mix for this recipe.
You will follow the cake mix recipe (found on the box itself) and then mix as you would a regular cake.
To this cake mix, I added the following:
Instead of three eggs, I used a total of four eggs.
To give it more depth of flavor, I added some vanilla extract.
To make the cake moister, I added some sour cream.
To make it more chocolatey, I added cocoa powder.
To the batter, I added a little more flour and sugar.
The batter is then poured in a 9 x 13 inch cake pan that has been greased with nonstick spray.
And, finally I topped the whole thing with chocolate chips.
The cake is then placed in a preheated 350 degree F oven to bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick or knife blade comes out clean.
You will have to wait until the cake cools before you frost it.
Then, slice and serve your Doctored Death by Chocolate Cake. Enjoy!
Doctored Death by Chocolate Cake Recipe
For the Cake
- 1 Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Cake Mix
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tbsp granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the Frosting
- 16 oz milk chocolate frosting
- nonstick spray
For the Cake
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl add the cake mix and the rest of the ingredients in the order that they are listed, except the chocolate chips. Mix well with a whisk or spoon.
- Pour batter into a 9×13 inch greased (with nonstick spray) cake pan.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips over the top of the batter, then place the pan in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the cake and it coming out clean. Remove.
For the Frosting
- Allow the cake to cool before frosting, approximately 60 minutes.
- Frost then, slice, serve. Enjoy!