Busy weeknights become easy breezy with this Creamy Ham and Pea Carbonara recipe that uses ham, peas, and mushrooms in a creamy sauce.
How to Make Creamy Ham and Pea Carbonara Recipe
There are just some days that I wish I could add more hours to but unfortunately I can’t.
On those days, I find myself scratching my head trying to figure out what to make that won’t take too much time but will satisfy my family’s hunger.
Carbonara – An Unsung Foodie’s Hero
That’s the beauty of this quick and easy Creamy Ham and Pea Carbonara. In the time it takes to boil the water, you’ll be able to assemble the rest of the ingredients for this recipe and have the most wonderful and tasty meal with very little sweat off your brow.
And, the secret to its success is that the hot pasta cooks the egg mixture to a beautifully rich sauce that gently nestles the ham and peas.
Start by boiling up water and add your pasta. Cook according to the package instructions. Be sure to cook the pasta only to al dente.
While your pasta is cooking. Assemble your egg mixture and make sure that the eggs are beaten well. Set aside.
Chop up ham, onions, mushrooms and garlic and sauté in a fry pan for about five minutes or until the onions are translucent. Turn off heat.
If using frozen peas, thaw them by running them under hot water and allow them to drain well.
Next, carefully reserve one cup of hot pasta water from the cooking pasta. This will be used later.
Now, everything is ready to make the carbonara.
After the pasta has cooked to al dente, drain. Place the pasta back into the same pan that you cooked it and begin adding the egg mixture, stirring constantly.
You don’t want to have the pan on an open flame or stove, otherwise, the eggs will scramble.
That being said, the pan and pasta should be hot enough to cook the eggs through.
Next, add the ham, mushroom and onion mixture. Stir well.
And, finally carefully stir in the peas. By now the pasta is creamy but may need a bit of water to thin out the sauce. Use a little bit of the hot reserved pasta water and only add about a quarter cup at a time. Stir well.
If you’d like add more grated cheese. Your Creamy Ham and Pea Carbonara is ready to be served. Enjoy!
For more delicious, quick and easy weeknight meals, be sure to check Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section and these amazing dishes:
- 10 Minute One Pan Pasta
- Quick and Easy Irish Shepherds Pie
- Pistachio Crusted Salmon
- Healthy Sheet Pan Tilapia with Zucchini
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Skillet
Easy Creamy Carbonara Pasta with Ham Recipe
- 1 lb spaghetti pasta dry
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/3 cup ham chopped finely
- 1/3 cup mushrooms sliced thinly
- 1/3 cup red onions chopped finely
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup cream
- 3 eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup parmesan grated finely
- 1/2 cup parmesan grated finely, for topping
- 1 cup pasta water
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Cook the spaghetti according to package instructions.
- In a large measuring cup (2 cups) add cream, eggs, pepper, and grated cheese. Set aside.
- In a small fry pan, heat olive oil and butter.
- Add to the fry pan, ham, mushrooms, onions, and garlic.
- Sauté for about 5 minutes and set aside.
- Next, thaw peas in a colander by running hot water over it. Strain well.
- Once pasta has cooked, strain pasta and put it back into the pot.
- Slowly add egg mixture and combine it with a fork, stirring carefully.
- Then, add ham mixture to the pasta. Stir well, again, with a fork.
- Finally, add the peas. Stir well.
- Serve hot, topping with the extra grated parmesan. Enjoy!