For a fresh take on an old classic, you’ll love this classic recipe for Caprese Salad that’s made with sliced heirloom tomatoes, chopped basil and buffalo mozzarella.
Easy Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
I believe that this classic recipe for caprese salad is one you should memorize as a secret go-to salad in a pinch. It’s simple and easy to plate and perfect for informal and formal dining anytime.
I don’t know of no other salad that brings freshness to the table no matter the time of the year. And, this classic recipe for Caprese Salad is a definite must when you are short on time but need something elegant and need it now!
RELATED: Old Fashioned German Potato Salad
This recipe only takes a handful of steps to assemble and ready to eat lickety-split!
I like to start out with large heirloom tomatoes, although you can certainly use Roma tomatoes, or even larger-sized Cherry tomatoes.
Then alternate tomato slices with mozzarella.
You can use the standard pre-sliced Buffalo Mozzarella like BelGioiso Cheese or you can use mini marinated mozzarella balls. My recommendation is to use what you love the best.
Quick Tip: Serve your salad on a white platter for a bigger wow factor.
RELATED: Everyday Italian Recipes
That’s what I mean about this caprese salad being so simple and easy! And, while you’re at it, why not make this side dish a meal by grilling chicken breast. Perfection!
For more delicious salad recipes be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Side Dish Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced thinly
- 8 ounces Buffalo Mozzarella sliced or mini mozzarella balls plain or marinated
- 1/2 cup basil fresh, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Alternate the layers of tomatoes and mozzarella slices.
- Sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with a high quality virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Enjoy!