For a fresh take on an old classic, you’ll love this recipe for Classic Caprese Salad that’s made with sliced heirloom tomatoes, chopped basil and buffalo mozzarella.
Discover more ways to use up your tomatoes with these helpful tips and recipes from my WPR (Wisconsin Public Radio) Podcast – Too Many Tomatoes. LISTEN HERE: FOOD FRIDAY – TOMATOES
I believe that this classic recipe for caprese salad is one you should memorize as a secret go-to salad in a pinch. It’s simple and easy to plate and perfect for informal and formal dining anytime.
I don’t know of no other salad that brings freshness to the table no matter the time of the year. And, this classic recipe for Caprese Salad is a definite must when you are short on time but need something elegant and need it now!
RELATED: Old Fashioned German Potato Salad
How to Make Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
This recipe only takes a handful of steps to assemble and ready to eat lickety-split!
I like to start out with large heirloom tomatoes, although you can certainly use Roma tomatoes, or even larger-sized Cherry tomatoes.
Then alternate tomato slices with mozzarella.
You can use the standard pre-sliced Buffalo Mozzarella like BelGioiso Cheese or you can use mini marinated mozzarella balls. My recommendation is to use what you love the best.
Quick Tip: Serve your salad on a white platter for a bigger wow factor.
RELATED: Everyday Italian Recipes
That’s what I mean about this caprese salad being so simple and easy! And, while you’re at it, why not make this side dish a meal by grilling chicken breast. Perfection!
For more delicious salad recipes be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Side Dish Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker and these family favorites:
- Tuna Nicoise Salad
- Classic Cobb Salad
- Easy German Potato Salad
- Tuscan-Style Panzanella Salad
- Old Fashioned Friendship Fruit Salad
Classic Caprese Salad Recipe
- 1 large heirloom tomato sliced thinly
- 8 ounces Buffalo Mozzarella sliced or mini mozzarella balls plain or marinated
- 1/2 cup basil fresh, chopped finely
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Alternate the layers of tomatoes and mozzarella slices.
- Sprinkle the basil over the tomatoes and mozzarella.
- Drizzle with a high quality virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve. Enjoy!