This simple vegetarian Cheesy Tomato Onion Tart recipe is made with cherry tomatoes and Fontina and Gruyere cheese. Bakes up in 25 minutes.
Quick and Easy Cheesy Tomato Onion Tart Recipe
This deliciously simple Cheesy Tomato Onion Tart recipe is made with cherry tomatoes and Fontina and Gruyere cheese. It’s both a vegetarian and meatless meal that you’ll want to make again and again.
There are times when all I want is something simple but tasty. Filling but sans meat. That’s when I turn to this recipe.
This veggie delight is perfect for lunch or dinner and best of all, you can serve it warm or at room temperature.
This Cheesy Tomato and Onion Tart also uses minimal ingredients, which is great for those on a budget but also short on time.
Even so, it bakes up into such a delicious tart that you will find yourself reaching for another slice.
For this recipe, you will be using cherry tomatoes. Choose one color, such as red cherry tomatoes or mix and match with whatever is available at your grocery store.
The hardest part of this recipe (it really isn’t) is grating the cheese and slicing the onions. I like to use Gruyere and Fontina cheese because both melt well in the oven, plus they pair well with the onions, basil and tomatoes.
Next, you’ll sauté the onion onions until they are soften. When done, you’ll set these aside to cool slightly.
Since I’m always pressed for time. I like to use a prepared pie crust like Pillsbury’s Refrigerated Pie Crust. It’s easy to press it into a low sided quiche baking dish or glass pie pan–whichever you choose.
Time to assemble all of the ingredients.
First layer with cheese, next onions, then tomatoes, and finally with basil and more cheese. Whew! Assembling goes that fast!
Finally, I like to brush the crust with a bit of milk, and bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for about 25 minutes until the crust is golden brown.
When finished, take the tart out of the oven and let cool for five minutes before serving. Enjoy!
For more delicious vegetarian dinner options, be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Dinner Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Cheesy Tomato Onion Tart
- 1 Pillsbury Refrigerated Pie Crust
- 4 cups red and yellow cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups yellow onions sliced thin
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1 cup Fontina cheese grated
- 1 cup Gruyere grated
- 1/4 cup basil julienne
- 1/4 cup Parmesan grated
- 3 tbsp milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil, onions, salt, and pepper. Cook on Medium High heat and cook for approximately 10 minutes, until the onions are soft.
- In a 9 inch pie plate, lay out your pie crust. Don’t trim the crust just yet.
- Layer the Fontina and Gruyere cheese evenly over the crust. Then add the tomatoes evenly over the cheese.
- Next sprinkle the basil leaves over the tomatoes. Follow this with the Parmesan over the whole tart. Finally, roll and tuck the extra crust along the sides.
- Brush the crust with milk, then put tart into the oven to bake. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool for five minutes before serving. Cut, serve and enjoy!