This vamped Butterscotch Heath Chocolate Cake Mix recipe is rich and chocolatey thanks to Dutch cocoa, Heath toffee nibs and Butterscotch chips.
When you need a quick and easy cake for any occasion but that’s super moist and chocolatey too, then you’ll definitely love this recipe for Butterscotch Heath Chocolate Cake.
I have to admit that even serious foodies like me find themselves falling back on boxed cakes. There’s nothing wrong with that. In fact, if you are adventurous, you’ll find that even these store-bought cake mixes can become a most wonderful dessert for your family and friends.
The idea for this recipe came about when I started making cakes for our church’s Friday fish fry. I thought I’d take the box cake route with canned frosting, since I was in a hurry. It worked like a charm. The cake was a hit.
Surprised, I thought since I hadn’t eaten this type of cake in a while I’d make it for myself and my family. I found that while the cake was indeed moist, it lacked what I felt was the essence of what the cake was all about: a rich chocolate flavor.
This version was amazing to say the least. In fact, it disappeared without barely a trace with the help of some very special chocoholics that happen to be members of my own family.
Now, you too can enjoy this rich and chocolatey cake by following these simple instructions.
How to Make Butterscotch Heath Chocolate Cake Mix Recipe
Start with a milk chocolate cake mix.
In a bowl, add your cake mix and follow the box instructions and add two tablespoons of Dutch cocoa. Stir well.
Then, pour the batter into a greased cake pan.
Next, sprinkle six ounces of butterscotch chips over the top of the cake batter.
And, place the cake in a preheated 375 degree F oven to bake for approximately 30 minutes.
You’ll know the cake’s done, when a toothpick comes out clean.
Remove the cake from the oven and allow it to cool for about an hour before frosting.
Finally, sprinkle the cake top with Heath nibs.
Slice and serve. It’s that easy! Enjoy!
For more delicious dessert and cake recipes, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Butterscotch Heath Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate Cake Mix
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 tbsp Dutch cocoa
- 6 oz butterscotch morsels or chips
- 6 oz Heath Toffee Bits
- 16 oz milk chocolate frosting
- nonstick spray
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a bowl add cake mix, beaten eggs, water, shortening and cocoa. Mix well with a whisk or spoon.
- Pour batter into a 9×13 inch greased (with nonstick spray) cake pan.
- Sprinkle butterscotch chips over the top of the batter and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness by inserting a toothpick or skewer into the middle of the cake and it coming out clean. Remove.
- Allow the cake to cool before frosting, approximately 60 minutes.
- Frost and sprinkle Heath toffee bits over the top of the cake. Then, slice, serve. Enjoy!