This Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans recipe uses fresh chard and cannellini beans in a rich chicken stock.
How to Make Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans Recipe
I’d have to say there’s definitely a lot to love about my Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans recipe. With delicious fresh ingredients and made, prep to finish, in under 30 minutes.
Oftentimes, I get ideas for the recipes I make from other renowned chefs. This recipe for Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans is no different.
My inspiration this time came from Master Chef, author, Emmy-winning television host and restaurateur, Lidia Bastianich and her Braised Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans Recipe (Zimino Di Bietole E Fagioli).
What I love about her recipe is that it’s Italian rustic cooking at its best. She too uses the simplest and best freshest ingredients which is also the hallmark here on Wisconsin Homemaker.
With this in mind, make sure to check with your green grocer to buy only the freshest Swiss chard possible. Old Swiss chard is rubbery and hard to chew even when cooked. But fresh chard breaks easily and softens into a velvety goodness alongside the beans. Delicioso!
Love Lidia Bastianich’s cooking? (Who doesn’t?) Be sure to check out her latest cookbook: Mastering the Art of Italian Cooking
Now onto the beans. White beans or cannellini beans, as they are commonly known as, can be made from dried beans or purchased already prepared from a can. For me, I prefer canned, as it removes the legwork (and time) to cook them. That being said, when choosing canned, my recommendation is to go for the better quality brand, as it will give you the best results.
Finally, for this recipe I chose to add another protein to the mix: chicken thighs. When you cook this with some fresh mushrooms, topped with a rich tomato-wine sauce, it becomes an amazing Italian dish to serve your family and friends. Enjoy!
For more delicious Italian dishes be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section and these family favorites:
- Zuppa Toscana (Sausage, Potato and Kale Soup)
- Italian Vegetarian Skillet Pasta
- Easy Baked Penne Pasta with Meat and Cheese Sauce
- Easy Skillet Eggplant Parmigiana
Braised Chicken with Swiss Chard and Cannellini Beans
- 3 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 4 chicken thighs bone in (Note: You can also use boneless thighs and cooking time will be less.)
- 6 cups of Swiss Chard stems removed, chopped (Try Rainbow Chard)
- 1/2 cup red onion chopped finely
- 15 oz cannellini beans
- 1 cup Pomi Chopped Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Pinot Grigio
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 2 cups mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Start out with a heated pan and olive oil.
- Place the chicken thighs skin-side down.
- Cook for approximately 8 minutes on one side and then turn over for another 8 minutes.
- Add Pinot Grigio and chopped tomatoes. Boil for about 3 minutes.
- Next add the beans and cook for 3 minutes.
- Finish up with Swiss Chard, onions and garlic and cook through for 5-10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add a little more chicken broth (1/4 cup at a time), if you find that the sauce is becoming too thick and sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Check the chicken for doneness. (Cut one of the thighs to the bone to make sure there’s no redness, only cooked meat.)
- If cooked through, remove from heat. (If not, add five more minutes to the cooking time.)
- Serve. Enjoy!