This perennial favorite dip: Baba Ganoush Hummus Recipe, is made with roasted eggplant, ground chickpeas, tahini and rich spices.
Homemade Baba Ganoush Hummus Recipe with Eggplant
This recipe for homemade Baba Ganoush or Roasted Eggplant Hummus is a definite must for dip-lovers.
Some texts say this Middle Eastern recipe for “baba ganoush or ghanoush” hails from Lebanon, while others say it comes from Turkey. Either way, the recipe name is translated simply as “pampered daddy.” Perhaps due to it’s ancient harem roots.
RELATED: Mixed Bean Hummus
I love this recipe because it’s one of those dips that’s both rich and creamy and so easy to make.
But unlike the classic recipe, this version includes chickpeas, although you can also use cannellini beans as a substitute, if that’s all you have in stock. Either way, it’s a nutritionally sound and healthy dip that’s great anytime of the year.
I like to serve this rustic hummus with toasted pita chips, crusty bread or crudités.
Recipe Suggestion – Make it a Wrap
You can also take your Baba Ganoush one step further and make it into a wrap for an amazing meal or snack. Be sure to slip in long slices of red pepper, cucumber and julienne carrots for a bit of crunch.
For more delicious Hummus Recipes and other dips for your next party, be sure to check out Wisconsin Homemaker’s Recipe Section.
Baba Ganoush Hummus Recipe with Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant sliced in half lengthwise, roasted, flesh removed
- 15 oz chickpeas canned, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp water if needed
- 1 tsp black sesame seeds to garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the eggplant slices cut side down on a prepared baking sheet and roast until fork tender for approximately 30-35 minutes.
- Let the eggplant cool for about 5 minutes.
- Scoop out the eggplant flesh and place in a food processor.
- Next, add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor. Pulse until almost smooth.
- If the mixture is too thick add a little water.
- Serve with pita chips, crusty bread, or vegetable wedges.