This easy Apple Stuffing Recipe is made with cubed bread, chopped apples, fresh mushrooms, vegetables and herbs. The perfect recipe when you have a large crowd to feed on the weekends or during the holidays.
You might find as I do that there’s usually a large crowd to feed on the weekends or during the holidays. If this is true, why not make your menu easier by making one that definitely can feed a small family up to a crowd: Easy Apple Stuffing.
Not only is it a great crowd pleaser, but it can be assembled in minutes, making it also perfect for any evening that I want to serve something substantial to my family.
And, if you are into meal planning this Easy Apple Stuffing recipe can be made ahead of time and frozen for use later. Just remove from the container what you need: thaw, heat and serve. It’s delicious!
Apple Stuffing Ingredients
There are just a few key ingredients in this recipe, but you are certainly encouraged to “make this recipe your own.” For example, you could make your own toasted or baked bread cubes instead of using fresh bread as I have for this recipe. Also, take a look at my “Variations” section below. There you will find more ingredients that I have included at other times when making this recipe.
This easy stuffing recipe uses the following ingredients:
- bread cubes
- chicken or turkey broth
How to Make Easy Apple Stuffing Recipe
Begin by preheating your oven to 375 °F (190 °C).
Then in a large bowl add the bread cubes (fresh or baked), parsley, apples, sage and mushrooms.
Next heat the oil and add the onions first and sauté on medium heat for about five minutes before adding the finely chopped celery. Cook for a minute or so then add the sliced mushrooms. Cook everything until softened.
Add fresh chicken stock to the pan and heat it to a simmer.
Then remove the pan off the heat and add the cooked vegetables and stock mixture to the dry assembled ingredients. Stir well.
To prepare your oven-safe baking dish (approximately 3 quarts or 2.8 liters), spray with non-stick cooking spray or rub liberally the sides and bottom of dish with butter.
Spoon the dressing into the baking dish and place it in the preheated oven.
Bake uncovered for 60 minutes or until the Apple Stuffing is golden brown. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve. Enjoy!
Apple Stuffing Recipe Variations
Try one or more of these ingredient variations:
- Italian Sausage: 1.5 lb, browned
- Whole Roasted Chestnuts (jarred): 5-7 sliced thinly
- Raisins: 1 cup
- Dried Apricots: 5-7 diced
- Macadamia Nuts: 1 cup, chopped
- Chicken giblets, cooked, chopped finely
- Dried cherries, rehydrated in liquid, chopped finely
Apple Stuffing Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
You can use baked bread cubes, French bread, stale bread that is chopped into small chunks or packaged bread stuffing.
You can use a variety of apples for this recipe, including Granny Smith, Machintosh, and Golden Delicious–to name a few. If in doubt, check out this handy Apple Guide for more information: Best Apples for Eating and Cooking
Yes, you can assemble the stuffing and refrigerate it if you will be making it the next day. Or, you can freeze the prepared stuffing and then after allowing it to thaw in the refrigerator for several hours, you can bake it until golden brown in a preheated 375 °F (190 °C) oven.
Turkey, chicken, and pork are delicious when served with apple stuffing.
Some of the more popular side dishes that go with apple stuffing are baked sweet potatoes or yams, creamed corn, green bean casserole, and cranberry sauce or relish.
For more delicious side dish ideas, be sure to check out my Pinterest Board: Side Dish Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Easy Apple Stuffing
- 1 loaf French bread medium, sliced, diced
- 16 slices whole wheat sandwich bread cubed
- 2 stalks celery sliced, diced
- 2 cups mushrooms sliced thinly
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil extra virgin
- 2 Granny Smith apples cored, sliced, diced
- 1 medium onion sliced, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp fresh sage chopped finely
- 1/2 cup parsley chopped finely
For the Breadcrumbs
- Place cubed bread on a cookie sheet for 15 minutes at 350 degree oven until golden brown. Remove and let cool.
For the Stuffing
- Preheat oven to 375 °F (190 °C). In a large bowl assemble the bread cubes (fresh or baked), parsley, apples, sage and mushrooms.
- In a saucepan, heat the oil and add the onions first. Sauté on medium heat for about five minutes before adding celery. Mushrooms should be added last.
- Next add the Chicken Stock and the garlic and onion powder. Allow the mixture to simmer for five more minutes. Turn off heat then add this mixture to the dry assembled ingredients. Stir well.
- Prepare an oven-safe baking dish (approx. 3 quarts) and spray it with non-stick cooking spray or rub liberally sides and bottom of dish with butter.
- Make sure that the chicken stock has been pretty much absorbed by the bread cubes. Stir well once more before placing dressing into baking dish. Bake uncovered. Place into oven.
- Bake for 60 minutes or until dressing is golden brown. Remove and let rest for 10 minutes. Serve.