Learn how to make apple cake that’s moist and nutty with this easy Annabel Langbein One Pot Spiced Apple Cake Recipe.
Deliciously Moist Annabel Langbein One Pot Spiced Apple Cake Recipe
This inspired Annabel Langbein One Pot Spiced Apple Cake recipe is a one pot dump cake that is very moist and flavorful. Best of all, you can use your favorite nuts and dried fruit.
When it comes to easy apple dessert recipes with fresh apples, this recipe doesn’t get any easier.
And, even better, it’s a dump cake.
I love, love, love dump cakes. They’re so easy to make and makes for minimal clean up. But besides the ease of making these desserts, is the final product.
Perhaps that’s why I’m drawn to creating simple and easy recipes this one, that was inspired by Annabel Langbein’s recipe of the same name.
This recipe for One Pot Spiced Apple Cake is so easy to make because you mix everything in one pot, and when baked, it is a show-stopper cake that you made from scratch.
You can definitely taste the apples and nuts in the cake.
And you’ll love this recipe, because you can take this apple spice cake to any party as it’s big enough to feed a small crowd.
Start by melting butter in a low stockpot. Once melted, remove from heat and add granulated sugar and apples. For this recipe, I used three Honey Crisp apples, although you can most certainly use any kind of apple that you like.
I choose Honey Crisp Apples because I like how they hold up in baking.
After peeling, coring and chopping the apples, add them to the pot along with the dry ingredients and stir well. The batter will be sticky, but don’t worry. All’s well.
Time to add the nuts and dried fruit.
You can add any kind of nut you like but make sure that it’s chopped into small pieces. See image below. The Annabel Langbein’s recipe called for walnuts but I prefer chopped pecans.
RELATED: Old Fashioned Fruit Cocktail Cake
As for dried fruit, I used both black and golden raisins. But it’s also delicious with dried currants, figs, dates, cherries or apricots.
Be sure to mix well all ingredients together.
To bake, use a leakproof 9-inch spring form pan. It’s really handy because all you have to do is take parchment paper, lay it over the bottom plate before tightening up the form, then trim the edges.
Then, after you’ve secured the spring form pan, butter both the parchment paper base and sides well.
Now it’s time to scoop the batter into the pan. Level it out with a rubber spatula, because the batter is super sticky.
To finish, sprinkle with a 1/2 cup more of nuts.
Then put into a preheated 300 degree F oven for one hour. Once the hour has passed, turn up the oven temperature to 375 degrees F for the last 20-30 minutes. Bake until a tooth pick comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool for about 10 minutes or so before releasing and removing the spring form. You’ll want to cool your apple cake for 60 minutes more before dusting with powdered sugar.
For more deliciously decadent dessert recipes, check out my Pinterest Board: Dessert Recipes from Wisconsin Homemaker.
Annabel Langbein One Pot Spiced Apple Cake
- 1 cup butter unsalted
- 3 Honey Crisp apples peeled, cored, quartered and sliced thinly
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 2 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups pecan pieces (optional: walnut pieces, chopped hazelnuts or almonds)
- 1 cup raisins (optional: black, golden raisins, chopped figs, dates, currants, cherries, or apricots)
- Powdered Sugar–to dust
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Cut parchment paper to fit base of spring form pan. Grease well with butter.
- In a low stock pot, melt butter. Add chopped apples and sugar.
- Next add dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Stir well.
- Finally, add 1 cup of chopped nuts and raisins. Mix well.
- Pour batter into spring form pan. Level with a spatula. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of nuts on top of batter.
- Put cake into oven and bake for 1 hour. After 1 hour, turn heat of oven up to 375 degrees F. Bake until toothpick comes out clean, approximately 10-15 minutes. (See Note Below)
- Remove from oven and let cool for approximately 10 minutes before releasing and removing the spring form from the cake.
- Let cool an additional 60 minutes before dusting with powdered sugar. Slice. Serve. Enjoy!